Saturday, April 25, 2015

A SOBERING THOUGHT!

               "Some people die at 25, but are not buried until they are 75".

Mindfulness Ireland posted the above message to my FB page the other day and I thought to myself - Wow! what a sobering thought!! That sobering thought was imbedded in my brain even more some hours later at the supermarket. A very nice cheerful chap helped me load my groceries. He wore a most intriguing pendant around his neck. I asked him about it and his response made me gag - literally! "My son's ashes are in it" he said, referring to the pendant, and then he continued "He was killed on his way to work by a driver who was texting at the time". I wasn't expecting that. I would have preferred to hear it was a gift from his grandmother!

The pendant was surrounded by gems which were the birthstones of his son, the son's little daughter who was left fatherless, and all the rest of his family. It was absolutely beautiful and thought provoking, especially after receiving the above message on FB.

It also brought to mind another conversation I had recently with a lovely lady who was widowed at a young age, and left to care for her two very young children. She was calm and philosophic about the whole matter, and said to me "Patricia, at least he lived 'til he died". By that she meant, he had lived his life happily, doing work he loved, and just enjoyed his life. My question today is "Do you enjoy your life?" Are you living your life, or simply existing your life?

There is an old gypsy song which I remember my dad singing in the car on our way to the bog. I loved to hear him sing it. It went something like this...

       "I'm a rambler I'm a gambler and a long way from home
         And if you don't like me, just leave me alone
         I'll eat when I'm hungry, and drink when I'm dry
         And if the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'til I die"


A simple song with a compelling end "I'll live 'til I die". I also liked the bit 'and if you don't like me, just leave me alone'.

I'm a firm believer in 'Blooming where you're planted'. Wherever God puts you, or whatever life throws at you - you gotta find enjoyment in your life! And be cheerful about it. Cheerful, being the operative word - just like the nice man who helped me load my groceries into my car the other day.

Have a playful weekend!

Hugs,


Polly P xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment