Friday, February 15, 2013

HAPPY VALENTINE'S WEEK!


And it is a week...one day is not enough time to celebrate LOVE in all its forms - from slushy decorations that convey a romantic heart, to yummy chocolates, roses and wine...and of courses the music. Can't forget the music...I know it seems like Christmas was only yesterday. The first quarter of the year is always busy - Valentine's, St. Patrick's Day, and then Easter. After that there is a lull. The weather is getting warmer and people are busy enjoying the great outdoors. Thank goodness for birthdays to keep Hallmark in business!



I kid you not - it took me 20 minutes to put this together, with the help of my assistant Claudia, who is artistically inclined.



I timed myself...after the table was all set up, it took me exactly 45 minutes to get the dinner ready and served up on the table. I watched the clock in the kitchen and pretended I was doing one of those culinary challenges where the clock was ticking away and you had to be finished in so much time. Well, hunger was also a big help!

I did fillet steak Diane for Kevin with veggies and garlic mashed potatoes. We girls had linguini with basil petso sauce. I cooked up some fresh tomatoes and two courgettes I found wilting in the fridge. Everything went into the pesto sauce and yes lots of garlic! Hmm the best yet. Cheat pesto sauce is to get a jar of alfredo sauce (25% less fat is lighter). Add 2 tbs. of basil pesto sauce to it and you're in business!

Starter was Caprese salad - cherry tomatoes, sliced mozza balls sitting on a bed of eager lettuce and rained down on with Newman's best olive oil dressing. O.K. I know Newman is sadly long dead, but he passed on the secret recipe before passing on and yes, it's ta die for!! (though t.g. nobody did). The piece de la resistance being the fresh Basil. I am addicted to fresh Basil. I could eat it forever. It smells of summer and makes me think of Italy. I don't wash my hands after chopping it so I can enjoy its fragrance!

Last, but almost least - Dessert. No, that did not count in the 45 mins. dinner prep. I bought a delicious fresh fruit flan because it looked healthy. The fruit was swimming in a pool of velvet smooth custard, held together with lots of chocolate kisses. I served it up with a smile on its face, surrounded by charming winking chocolate dipped strawberries - happy to be serving healthy fruit to my family. O.K. I agree the custard and chocolate weakens my case. I did not have any (why do I sound like Bill Clinton?...I did not have any...) Well, I didn't have any chocolate as I'm determined to keep my Lenten promise to abstain from same. Instead I had delicious mandarin orange Greek yogurt with fresh blackberries...yummy!!

The Valentine's feast was followed by Purdy's chocolates for all but me, and  by the time the dishes were done, the chocolate longing was put to bed!
Not before ticking off 2 x's from my 40 day Lenten block...

Tomorrow is another day for LOVE and I have a nice little gift for you!

Choo Choo for now!

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment