Monday, March 4, 2013

MINDFULNESS

I just love the word 'mindfulness'. I hear it in the whisper of a breeze, the quiet of my car (when I turn the radio off), the peaceful snoring of my little puppies, the waves lapping against the shore. It's there if you just listen for it...

I heard it this morning as I drove behind a cute little Mr. Bean car. The driver was moving at a snail's pace and had a sticker on the bumper which said 'Mr. Bean's on board'. He could have been, and it sure got my attention. People were all passing us by impatiently. I decided to stay behind Mr. Bean. What was the hurry? We weren't on a screaming motorway, and besides we were going faster than a horse drawn carriage, if that's any help!

I arrived in plenty of time at my destination, relaxed and happy. I had enjoyed a tranquil and mindful journey. I knew I wasn't going to crash into Mr. Bean, and if I did, he would have been nice about it. I began thinking about what the Bishop said to us yesterday at mass. His words resonated with me. "Faith is the fertiliser that feeds our soul and allows the tree of life to flourish within us". Powerful words. Being 'mindful' allowed me to contemplate those words even more.

Today when I opened up my facebook. 'Mindfulness Ireland' had posted another interesting message:- (Love their site check it out)

Do not underestimate yourself by comparing yourself with others.
      It's our differences that make us unique and beautiful.

It's only when we are being 'mindful' that we can think positive thoughts like the above. We are what we think that's for sure!

I realize in the last few weeks I have been running around in my mind like a headless chicken. Life is getting in the way of good productive thought. I have a trip to plan to Ireland in May D.V. and then Milan in June, and the condo in Vancouver to take over on May 1st, and get it furnished and ready for family use, and a family wedding in Ireland the end of December d.v. and our 30th wedding anniversary in July - what will I do about it? So many thoughts, decisions but Hey! it's all good, and what about my upcoming birthday, and St. Patrick's Day? and my friend coming down from Calgary for the weekend to share our birthdays...I love when life is like that, yet at the same time, I need those moments of 'Mindful' reflection to keep me sane!!

Last but not least, Kevin and I listened to an Irish chat show 'The Late Late Show' on line this morning. There was an interview with 'former millionaire' and top businessman Bill Cullen. We were both in total awe of Bill. He is now bankrupt and his was a true 'Rags to Riches' story. Unfortunately, he is heading for the rags as we speak, but not without hope and a good fight! He is 71 now and looks great. He has such a positive outlook on life.

In the boom years he would work 20 hours a day - kid you not! he only slept 4 hours a night just like Maggie Thatcher. Don't know how they do it! He quoted his beloved grandmother Molly Darcy who lived to a 100, and taught him the secrets of a long and happy life "Bill what's the use of worrying about things that will never happen. C'mon down now and we'll feed the ducks and have an ice cream". In troubled times his grandmother would go down to the church and say a few rosaries and then she was grand.

So let's 'mindfully' chew on Mr. Bean, Molly Darcy, and Bill Cullen. Maybe  we could learn something from them?

Choo Choo and have a great day!

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment