Thursday, May 29, 2014

THINK YOU CAN CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

Not so easy...in fact downright dangerous! Why would anyone install such a crazy light fixture? I asked myself in frustration yesterday as I tried to change a lightbulb in our condo bathroom. In fact it would be a brilliant challenge for the 'Amazing Race' contestants. The light fixture had been bugging me for ages. There were four bulbs missing and I could see why; it takes a good hour to change one. Firstly, I had to balance myself precariously near the sink, then remove two side panels and 8 screws. After that was done, I had to wipe the sweat from my palms, and one by one remove more than 20 delicate crystal wands to finally reach the burnt out bulb. As I was doing it, I wondered what the heck the previous owners were thinking when choosing such a complicated fixture.

Suddenly I had a light bulb moment! The problem wasn't the light fixture; it was me. I was too darn impatient. In fact since I arrived in Vancouver on Monday, I've noticed the whole world - not just me - have been galloping around like headless horses. Have you noticed the impatience? On the roads - especially on the roads!! In the shops, waiting to be served, waiting for food (4 mins is the max people are prepared to wait for fast food), waiting for that phone call back, waiting for traffic to move. We were stuck in heavy traffic yesterday. I noticed the young woman in the car behind me had a look on her face that would curdle milk. Why so angry? The roadworks were unavoidable. 

So twenty years ago when my bathroom fixture was installed, the world was obviously a calmer place, and the people who chose it, clearly enjoyed crosswords and sudoku.

Who's at fault? The light fixture? My impatience? or the world that's rushing me?

Have a peaceful day,

Luv,

Polly P xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment