Thursday, March 19, 2015

ST. PATRICK'S DAY 2015





St. Patrick's day has always been a very special day for me. As a child, I can recall the daffodils in glorious bloom as we made our way to church, proudly wearing the St. Patrick's pin on my collar, and singing 'Hail Glorious St. Patrick dear saint of our Isle, on us thy poor children bestow a sweet smile'. We got the day off from school, which made it extra special, and it was the day I would celebrate my birthday (though my birthday is March 12th!) So yes, it is a day filled with many warm memories. That might explain why I go 'all out' on March 17th! In fact, I go krazee!!

Even though it was supposed to rain, it turned out to be a bright and beautiful sunny day. there is nothing to beat that fresh Spring sunshine! I got all dressed up in my cheeriest green, Lulu begged me not to put that silly old green hat on her, so I complied. Each year I do something different to celebrate the day. One year when the girls were little, I ended up bringing a few hundred green cup cakes to their school! It was to be for their 3 different classes, but when asking permission, the Headmistress thought I meant for the whole school - I could not disappoint her!! Awkward...

Another year, I made a big hearty Irish stew and brought it into the church to enjoy with fellow parishioners after the 12.00 mass. Fr. John went to his heels in it and loved it! This year was our 2nd annual 'Celtic Cougars' lunch for ladies of Irish heritage. The numbers are growing bigger each year! Prior to the lunch, I decided to do some charity work, since it is Lent. Dressed as I was in above picture, off I went in search of homeless street people. I gave them some money, and wished them a Happy St. Patrick's Day! They were speechless, but delighted and gave me the thumbs up!! Later I got a few cartons of green cup cakes and cookies, and delivered them down to my 'Bingo Buddies' at 'Our Place' homeless shelter, along with my empty cans. The joy I received from that, had me on a warm high for the rest of the day!

Lunch was lots of fun, as you can see from the photo. I raced into the office after the lunch to do some work, and collect Kevin, then back home to make the bacon and cabbage for supper - then off again for the Niche Travel Irish evening where I spoke to a group of ladies about Ireland; hoping to whet their appetite, and entice them to go on the September trip to Ireland!

A busy and happy day - I think I did my beloved St. Patrick proud!

Hugs,

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment