Monday, October 14, 2013

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

It is Thanksgiving weekend over here in Canada. Prior to coming to Canada we never really got into it. Twenty years later, I'm liking it - chocolate turkey, real turkey, and everything in between! I'm spending the long weekend in Vancouver with the family. We headed over on the ferry Friday afternoon. Weather is glorious and the colour of the changing leaves on the trees is breaktakingly beautiful!

I must admit the thought of cooking a big fat turkey cock in the small condo was making me feel ill at ease. But always up to a challenge, I did it! But it was funny the way it happened. I drove down to Safeway which in itself was a huge challenge. Drivers in Vancouver are noted for their aggression and rudeness. They think they are on roller skates, but forget they are driving cars. They tail-gate you when you're driving and come SO close, you can almost hear them breathe behind you! Nasty stuff. Anyway, I made it to the supermarket without any bangs on my bumper. I had a feeling the fresh turkeys may be sold out, since Vancouver is such a big city with lots more people to feed. I was right, there was nothing left but frozen turkeys. I never in my life cooked a frozen turkey.

As I gazed in wonderment at the array of sad looking reject turkeys which looked like giant snow balls, I got into conversation with a young fellow from Saudia Arabia who asked my advice on cooking turkeys. He had never in his life eaten, or indeed cooked, a turkey. Boy! that was going to be a challenge, especially with the frozen beast.

I told him to take the one that you could cook from frozen which was already stuffed. Next, I advised him to get up at the crack of dawn the following day and stick it in the oven - (and pray and keep the fingers and toes xxx'd! for the 6-7 hours it would take to cook I whispered to myself), plonk it in the aluminium tray I picked out for him, and follow all the written instructions on the turkey's belly, I told him like as if I was his mammy. He was so grateful and ran off holding the beast and the aluminium tray like it was a precious treasure.

As for my one, I ended up getting a frozen stuffed breast only. It only took four hours to cook. The fellow in the meat department became emotionally invested in my turkey disappointment. I had a panic attack on discovering all the fresh beasts were gone "Don't worry Miss, we'll get you your turkey" he said before running into the back to search. He ended up giving me my frozen stuffed breast at a bargain price of $19.99. I never in my life had a turkey meal for $4 per head. It wasn't bad either. I made my own stuffing and served it with brussel sprouts, potatoes, a medley of veggies and covered in gravy to tenderise it, otherwise, it would have been a little more chewy than the fresh one. In the end, yes, we did have our turkey! minus the legs, giblets and grease.

Yesterday, since the weather was so lovely, we took the hour and a half drive to see Whistler, which is to Vancouver what Aspen is to Colorado. I've been there before and I must confess, my reaction was the exact same as the first time - HATE the place. It is so artificial. It kind of reminded me of Disney world, but not for the nice reasons. As a skiing resort, I think Banff in Alberta is far more susbstanial, and has more natural beauty. Whistler looks and feels to me like it was all put together in a week. I did like the drive there. So yes, the journey was better than the destination in this case. We had a lovely meal in an Irish Pub, served by a friendly Aussie which was very enjoyable. Fish 'n chips with yummy garlic mayonnaise.

Back in Vancouver now, and packing our bags to return to Victoria. All-in-all a very pleasant weekend, with much to be grateful for. We watched 'The Secret' movie at home and there was tons of food for positive thought...Hmm the law of attraction is an interesting concept. Think positive, and positive things happen, think negative thoughts, and your worst fears are realized. Want something really badly? Like a million dollars or two? or a new car? or lover? or home? then focus on it...Some would argue that 'The Secret' lacks true spirituality, and is a bit dubious in parts. Watch it and see for yourself...Apparently, it has worked for many.

No more news this end!

Love,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment