Wednesday, August 20, 2014

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND...

Today, just as I was thinking the world has gone absolutely insane, a fellow stopped me in the street and offered me a chocolate cookie. I didn't tell him about my month-off-chocolate challenge, which is almost over (10 days to go!!) Instead, I thanked him profusely, and popped the piece of yum into my bag. He asked me to "pass on the kindness".  It was a simple gesture, and even if he did work for the Island Savings Group, and gave me his business card, I decided not to be cynical, because the world really does need kindness - and the odd free chocolate cookie doesn't hurt. I told him I would indeed 'pass it on' because 'what goes around comes around' - just like a boomerang!

This past week our world has been stunned with yet more bad news - the suicide of Robin Williams, death of one of my favourite American Idols, Michael Johns, at 35 (not suicide), all that nasty stuff going on with ISIS torturing people, and slaughtering innocent women and children - Iraq, Palestine, Syria, Israel, return of the Natzis, etc. Then tonight, when I was about to eat my dinner, an image of an American journalist about to be be-headed in Iraq shot up on the t.v. screen. It was horrendous.

Seeing I couldn't eat my supper (rare for me!!) Kevin decided I needed to be cheered up, and changed the channel. Instead of beheadings, we watched the annual 'Rose of Tralee' beauty pageant from Ireland (much better!). He did his magic, and found it on the internet. O.K. it's not supposed to be about beauty - it's more about brains - so they say...though I'm not entirely convinced, as each and every girl in the pageant is gorgeous, and brainy too!! Yes, it cheered me up, but my daughters ran a mile when I begged them to compete!! I want to be a proud emigrant mammy in the audience in Tralee one day. I tried to bribe Claudia by telling her I would buy her a car - a Porsche no less!! 'No Ma Never!' I needed a good cheesy show like the Rose Pageant to cheer me up.

So the moral of the story is - when the negativity of the world threatens to bring you down - change the channel!! It's simple, but true.

Love,

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment