Thursday, December 19, 2013

IT'S O.K. TO BE HAPPY WITH A CALM LIFE

The above words of wisdom greeted me when I turned on my computer yesterday. I totally agree. Peace and Calm are the gifts of a strong and deep faith. I had a long conversation this morning with a taxi driver from India about the same thing. We were discussing life, and all the manure that hits the fan from time to time. "It's good that you are a deep thinker" he said, with respect. Whether he meant it or not, nonetheless, it touched my heart.

At the moment, everybody in the world is freaking out - Christmas is around the corner - presents presents presents...dieters feeling the stress (talk to me about it!!)  - alcoholics feeling the stress - financially strapped families feeling the pinch. Drivers are erratic on the road - did you notice? At mass on Sunday, Fr. John was talking about this, and apparently somebody in America was shot because he snatched a car space from another!! I'll admit when that happens to me, I just take a deep relaxing breath...O.K. being honest - sometimes I use the eff word. They can't hear me, so it's a waste of time, but better than shooting them dead you'll agree!!

So, in the midst of all this Christmas excitement, I went to mass yesterday to pray for my friend Aileen O'Neill, who was undergoing major surgery. The process of sitting in church and praying was as soothing to my soul, as a frothy cappuccino on a cold day. It was heavenly - if you'll pardon the pun. Outside the church, it was noisy with all the Christmas hustle and bustle. Inside, it was an oasis of perfect calm, illuminated by the gentle twinkling of church candles. Bliss...

I left St. Andrew's with such a lovely warm fuzzy feeling inside of me. Better than all the parties in the world - better than all the shopping in the world - better than chocolate - Yes! better than chocolate. After this wonderful experience, I said to myself 'that's it! I'm giving myself the gift of faith this Christmas, and the time to develop it properly'. I want to feel that happy and calm every day. I deserve it - you deserve it - we all deserve it. And the good news - It's free!!

My friend Monica phoned me from Calgary this morning. She has survived breast cancer. She asked me to pray for a friend of hers, whose brother has just commited suicide, and her 21 year old adopted daughter has just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer - Hell multiplied by a hundred you'll agree! Thank God, that woman has a strong faith. How could you cope with a double whammy like that just before Christmas? That same woman, who is a retired lawyer, has 8 children of her own, plus two adopted children. What planet do these Superwomen come from? I ask myself.

Monica's words of wisdom for Aileen - and everybody - are as follows:-
(These words were given to her by a deeply devout priest who stormed heaven for her when she had the cancer).

When stressed, take a deep breath, close your eyes, and repeat these words -

                          JESUS IN...(as you breath in)

                          EVIL OUT..(as you exhale)


Try it - I guarantee you'll feel something...earth moving? Perhaps - if you pray hard enough!

Love,

Patricia xxx   

No comments:

Post a Comment