Sunday, December 15, 2013

WHAT IS CHRISTMAS REALLY ALL ABOUT?

I love love love this picture...doesn't it warm you heart? When I first saw it, I went oohing and aahing, 'See that's what Christmas is all about". Then Ali said "Mum it's fake!" I said "NO! it can't be!" I didn't want it to be fake. If you look at the website beneath this picture, you can see other wonderful fantasy photos.

Is Christmas a fantasy? Yes of course it is, but don't we all need a little bit of fantasy in our lives? We need a full month of Christmas to help get us through the remaining 11 months. Right? Christmas is about watching cheesy romantic movies in front of a big roaring fire, singing jolly happy songs, jingle bells, generosity, glitz, twinkling fairy lights, Santa Claus, being nice to each other...because it's Christmas! - parties, food glorious food - and lots of it!! So what is not to like about Christmas?


Alison-Jackson-corgi-queen
http://www.alisonjackson.com/category/royals/

So far this Christmas, I've watched all my favourite movies - regulars such as 'Christmas with the Kranks', 'Love Actually',  'Let it Snow', 'Cedar Cove Christmas' to name but a few. I have yet to see Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation - then I can tick it off my must-watch movie list. Christmas music is still playing 24/7 in the kitchen. We even had a little drizzle of snow recently to add to the ambience. Now that it's gone, I don't know how on earth I survived in Alberta for all those freezing winters!

Yesterday, we went to see Jennifer Lawrence in her much acclaimed movie 'Hunger Games', and it did not disappoint. I was glued to the seat for the full two and a half hours. She is a superlative actress. The setting was as dark and bleak as a nazi concentration camp, with the same overriding sense of fear and danger. The sumptuous costumes and make-up added a bit of relief, but the star of the show was undeniably Jennifer Lawrence. She held us all spellbound. A must-see. But be prepared - it's not a feel-good Christmas movie. If that's what you want, you'd be better off watching 'Love Actually'.

Today, I went back to the Royal Theatre with Kevin and the girls. This time I was in the audience with the family - way better! We went to hear the Victoria Symphony perform 'A Sentimental Christmas' which was absolutely delightful, and heart-warming (the girls may not agree!). It was a jolly-holly-happy-singalong designed specially for children and seniors. The audience were encouraged to singalong to such songs as 'Deck the Halls', 'O Come All Ye Faithful', 'Twelve Days of Christmas', 'Jingle Bells' and 'Silent Night' to name but a melodious few. I found my choir experience really helped. And I just loved loved loved it. 

After all these years, I've come to the realization that Christmas really is...what you make it. You get out of it, what you put into it...and then some.

Cheers!

Love,


Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment