Sunday, December 29, 2013

CHRISTMAS AT OUR PLACE

                                 WELCOME TO OUR HOME - COME IN!
TWEEDLE DEE & TWEEDLE DUM - OUR ONLY WELCOME DEER!
                     OUR VICTORIAN WINTER WONDERLAND
THE DINING ROOM BEFORE PUTTING UP THE SOCKS FOR SANTA!
                       GETTING READY TO FEAST...YUM YUM!
IT WAS SNOWING OUTSIDE AND WE WERE ALL COZY INSIDE!



NOW THAT CHRISTMAS IS OVER, LULU LOOKS JUST HOW I FEEL - NO I WOULD NOT WISH TO POSE LIKE THAT!!

                                                    ***

Where did Christmas go this year? Like the snow, it was here one minute and gone the next.  Such a flurry of excitement and then...it disappeared in a New York minute. I guess time flies when you're having fun!! One of my favourite Christmas events this year was attending the Victoria Symphony's 'Sentimental Christmas' on December 15th and singing along with Kevin and the girls.

Sharing the stage with the tenors at the Royal Theatre on December 10th was also a novel experience. We squeezed in a few great movies too. Jennifer Lawrence was the queen of the silver screen this Christmas. We really enjoyed both her movies - 'Hunger Games 2' and 'American Hustle'. You can tell she is a Leo - drama comes naturally to her. I'd highly recommend both movies.

On the 23rd I had some friends over. This time I decided to serve an Empress Hotel style afternoon tea, which was a lot of fun, and very little washing up afterwards! We had some visitors from out of town, and some local friends. For starters I did a bowl of mixed berries with a dollop of cream - just like the EH. This was followed by a selection of finger sandwiches, which were very filling, some sushi, as one of our guests was from Japan (I've never seen Japanese eat bread so I was worried!) and some delicious olive and feta tapenade with crackers.

Dessert consisted of a generous selection of tiny bite size pastries, which were quickly devoured - lemon squares, mini chocolate eclairs, rum balls, fruit cake, tiramisu, chocolate mousse, mini cheese cakes, candy cane flavoured cup cakes, butter tarts, and mocha chocolate cups - yum yum!! Last, but not least, some Baileys Irish coffee, and Butler`s Irish mint chocs. A simple, yet satisfying little feast. Later the kids pulled some fancy crackers. Per tradition, I adorned some Christmas tin cans, and filled them with sweet treats for our visitors to take home with them.

Christmas Eve was all ours to enjoy, though Kevin had to work until 2.00 pm as some folk needed to see him - desperately! Christmas is a stressful time for many. That evening we went to the 'Irish Times' pub and eatery for our traditional Christmas Eve office party - just Kevin, Ali, Victoria, Claudia and myself. It was jam packed, and pumping with pre-Christmas excitement. Later, we strolled down a beautifully adorned Government street, to view the Christmas trees at the Empress Hotel, and enjoy all the lavishly decorated shop windows.

Each Christmas the Empress Hotel has its annual Festival of Trees event, where all the local businesses display their individually decorated tree, and you can vote for your favourite. The hotel was alive with all the Christmas buzz. Mr. and Mrs. Claus had just arrived, and were reading to pyjama-clad children by the huge roaring fire (made me want to be a child again!!) All the restaurants were buzzing...Christmas had well and truly arrived! We decided we would like to have our office party there next year - God willing.

Another tradition of ours, which we did after the Empress Hotel, was to drive around the city and neighbourhoods, gazing in awe at the bedazzling Christmas lights. This year they were spectacular. Some homes had begun their lights and Christmas set-up several months ago - insane I know! The more elaborate homes had a little collection box for charity, and free candy canes, for grown ups and children alike. I just love all that Christmas razzle-dazzle. The electricity bills at some homes I believe are over $1000 for the month of December!

I never before braved Boxing Day sales, but this year I did. Victoria was working at Banana Republic, and it was well and truly BANANAS!! I got fabulous bargains and I'm thrilled to bits with all my purchases. 50% off the sale prices, and then an additional 10% off. Sweaters that were originally $89 down to $11. I love the BR bling and got a few pieces because they were gorgeous, and such fantastic value. We also gave each other loads of Bay gift cards for Christmas. We get them from Visa as a thank-you for all that spending!! I got a brilliant German frying pan (should have got it 30 years ago!!). It is supposed to last forever. The original price was $235 and I got it for $60 with my Bay card. Also got a classy Ralph Lauren navy cardigan with crest - original price $189 down to $60. I'll get loads of use from it. Sales were good this year.

The best news we got this Christmas was that Ali has secured an internship with Vancouver's prestigious 'Western Living' magazine. She starts on Thursday. As I write, She is winging her way back to Vancouver, with Kevin and Victoria. I miss them already!! Claudia has to work, so I am staying with her and our little animal babies. I have been invited to a friend's birthday party tomorrow, so I'll have to wait until Tuesday to begin my healthy eating again!!

My 2014 project is to live more simply, and see how long I can last without buying any bling, clothes or shoes. I'll keep you informed on the project and my willpower.

So, without further ado, I am sending lots and lots of love and good wishes your way!

Keep HOPE in your heart, and let there be LOOOOOOVE!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Love,

Patricia xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment