Wednesday, April 24, 2013

EYE IN THE SKY

Some people like to escape to a little cottage by the lake or deep in a forest close to nature. Not me! My little escape paradise, which I call 'Shangri-la' sits high in the Vancouver sky overlooking sea, mountains and shops. It is bright, colourful, and wonderfully sunny. We moved our stuff in on Kevin's birthday last Friday and what fun!! Our urban cottage spoke to us and said 'NO CLUTTER PLEASE'. So we obeyed.

The walls, furniture, and window coverings are warm magnolia. Colour is permitted only through pictures, cushions and ornaments. Even though I love coloured walls, 'Shangri-La' is a bossy Aries and re-iterated 'No Colour on walls, only tomato red on one wall in the bedroom...phew! That will happen some time in the future...

My little cottage is a welcome escape from clutter, housework, and cooking We're surrounded by restaurants and take-outs, which sometimes work out cheaper than the cost of producing the meals (my excuse). As I sit on the sunny balcony looking down on creation, and watching all the little matchstick men and women walking up Robson Street, I marvel at the sheer delight in living life in a more simple fashion. Less stuff = less cleaning = more time to do creative work = True Happiness. O.K. I know "Wait 'til the novelty wears off". I promise you - It will never wear off!

Vancouver was hopping with action. Next time I'll bring a binoculars! There was the Pot Head Convention (only in B.C.!), a big hockey game and then the annual Sun Race which sadly made me think of the Boston Marathon. The sun was shining and everybody was Hap Hap Happy! A lone singer with guitar and speakers began singing the song ``Krazee...I think you`re crazy...` as the runners whizzed by. It made me think. 

I cooked up my first real Sunday brunch - sausages, rashers and fried eggs. The view from our dining table was spectacular as we watched the seagulls
soaring high above the garbage cans, a lady meditating on her windowsill with just a towel covering her, a couple dining al-fresco, not to mention the shopkeepers opening up for the sleepy Sunday strollers...so much to see.

Yes, high-rise living is the life for me!!

When I turned the key at home and the puppies came running to me with wagging tails, and the garden was glowing with colourful flowers...I could also see the benefits of a bigger home closer to the ground...Hmm there are arguments to be had for both ways of life.

Choo Choo for now!

Patricia xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment