Tuesday, June 4, 2013

DEAR AULD DUBLIN!

What makes this city so special? Why is it that every tourist who comes here wants to stay? (I know that for sure because I met one in Victoria recently). The gardener on the chip trail had worked in Ireland some years ago and was returning again the end of March "forever this time". I asked her the reason for her love affair with Ireland, despite the fact she had no connection with the country - no ancestry - nothing! "I just love the people" was her simple response. "They are so warm and welcoming". And there you have it.

Despite the fact Ireland is bleeding from a deep and very painful recession, nothing can repress that Irish sense of humour. Just walking around the place, I'm looking at it now through the eyes of a tourist.

I went into the church in Rathmines on Sunday evening to light a candle. It's a place that holds many happy memories for me. Ali and Victoria were baptised there. I had my first mass there with Kevin 31 years ago (still have the mass sheet). So it's a place close to my heart. I was greeted by a blonde lady whose face I recognized from the time I went to church there more than 20 years ago. She used to cycle around Rathmines with a bicycle that had a wicker basket in front. A bit eccentric, but pleasant with it. I was a stranger to her but she came over to me and invited me to blow out the candles with her as the church was closing. "You can make a wish with each candle you blow out" she said. Later she gave me a big hug and introduced me to the Parish Priest, and a few girls who happened to be there. The priest had been to Victoria for half a day and remembered it very favourably. So there I was in the middle of a group of strangers, and made to feel like family! That's Dublin for you!

Today I was in the supermarket looking for some odds and ends. A smart looking elderly lady approached me. She looked well into her 80's, carrying an expensive designer bag and fitted green jacket, which I admired "it's ten years old dear" she whispered. "don't let on you know". Next, she asked for my advice on coffee saying her usual one 'doesn't give me a kick any more'. I would not have thought a lady of her age was into kicks any more - apparently I was wrong! I told her to stick with the Costa Rica which her doctor had recommended, but to up on the spoons of coffee she put in. We chatted awhile like long lost relatives and I discovered her grandson lived in Nova Scotia and had just graduated from university here, but still couldn't get a job 'over there'. I told her to tell him to try Alberta where the serious money was. "Oh no dear, he is too spoilt and pampered for Alberta! He's not into oil, or getting his hands dirty". This lady knew her stuff! It was an entertaining way to while away a few minutes - That's Dublin for you! Strangers like old friends. And I haven't even gone into a pub yet!!

Dublin was one big street party yesterday as 40,000 women ran in the 30th Dublin women's mini-marathon. The glorious sunshine added to the great atmosphere. I chatted to loads of them - some of them well into their 60's and 70's and they were all delighted with themselves. That's Dublin for you! 

The fellow at Vinnie's (SVP) was chatting me up goodo and sold me 3 gorgeous Indian brass bracelets. He knocked them down from 2 euros each to 50 cents "just for you dear" that's because I told him his pal was a ringer for the fellow in the Clancy Brothers "a younger version of course". I felt flattered by his attention and delighted with my bargains!! - That's Dublin for you!! They have the bleedin' blarney in buckets and now that the weather is fabulous - there's no stopping the charm and happy vibes!

That's Dublin in the not so rare auld times. It always amazes me when I come home that no matter what adversity hits them, the people never lose their sense of humour and warmth - and I hope they never will!

Cheers for now!

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment