Monday, June 3, 2013

THE JOY OF TRAVEL!

Did you know coaches now weigh suitcases? That's what I discovered when I arrived at the bus depot. My suitcase was 11 lbs. over and they wanted to charge me an extra $15. The girls helped me take some stuff out. No fee for me!! Like parking tickets, they make me feel annoyed, especially when I get nothing for my money!

Got to Vancouver and decided to offload some things in the condo. By the time I had finished, it still felt heavy - dang! Half the load were presents...and I was determined to bring that peanut butter over to Camilla. Such is love!

Saturday morning I arrived at the airport to discover an object akin to a gallows, surrounded by the suitcase SAS. They were fierce looking. Dang again! Three tough looking fellows, with the task of weighing suitcases. The blarney wasn't going to work here. 23 kgs. or 50 lbs - no more - less yes.

I found a quiet weighing machine and yes, I was 6 lbs. over. A group of Americans were beside me doing the same thing - offloading, weighing again, offloading, and weighing the bag again. I wished there and then I could be like Dick Whittington and fit all my stuff into a little bag, and carry it over my shoulder. No such luck. They were laughing at the sight of me talking to my suitcase "O.K. you little darlings in there - who's next for the cut?' I had two choices, I could either pay the $100 fee or get a cute little bag in the shop, with wheels on it for $19. I ended up with a nice little bag to keep, and no fee for the suitcase SAS!

Next, I joined the line of quivering travellers waiting to have their suitcase weighed. It was worse than waiting in line at weight-watchers - way worse because at WW they don't charge you $100 if you are overweight!! The bag was put on a scale and the weight registered on a big screen which everybody could see. My case weighed in at 23 kgs. - not an ounce under or over. The first time I had a perfect score. I let out a deserved roar of delight. Yeah! My girls would have been mortified if they were with me.

On my flight to Toronto, I had a window seat and was 'imprisoned' beside a man who kept releasing stink bombs! Yes...the joy of travelling. No, it wasn't me Claudia!!

Just as well I was at the airport two hours before the flight, as I needed every minute. I had barely enough time to grab a quick coffee and croissant. When I arrived at Toronto the airport was really busy with crowds everywhere. I was starving and exhausted as they did not feed us on the flight. You had to pay for the food. I had my purse locked up above me, and did not want to disturb the stink bomber in case he became agitated, and released more gas. No way! So I starved in silence.

I was lucky to find an empty seat at a little food bar, only to discover a puddle of water beneath me. The waitress freaked to her boss "Quick there is huge leak coming from the bar area". I had to move while they cleaned up the mess, and was embarrassed as people were looking in my direction. 'NO, it wasn't me'. Would I ever get food? By this time I was really ravenous.

Success at last, I had the nicest cup of tea - ever. I asked the waitress the name of the tea. 'Rishi Chinese breakfast tea'. I shall look for it. The best ever! and the tuna sandwich was toe tingling good as well. Nothing like a satisfied tummy to make a gal feel normal again. I was ready for the next leg of the journey.

The flight to Dublin was 30 mins. late. I was sitting beside a 'peculiar' looking fellow who had a strange aura about him. Fortunately, there were two free seats to the left of me. I asked the weird looking man if he would like to stretch out his legs and decided to move over to the two spare seats. It was a good idea as I had far more room, and I did not want a repeat of the stink bomber from the previous flight.

The journey flew. I did 3 word searches, put on my teeth whitening strips for 2 hours, listened to several CD's, including Marianne Williamson's 'The Age of Miracles', Doreen Virtue's 'How to hear your Angels', Michael Buble, Josh Groban and Marilla Ness's 'The Rosary'. The new ear phones Kevin gave me were fantastic.

At last we arrive in Dublin. An elderly man, with a bloodshot eye, limp, and foul breath tagged along with me, telling me his life story, and why he was going to Ireland, and how he lived with his elderly mother all his life, and now since she died, he is travelling and living his life. (was he looking for a woman?). He was travelling to Ireland to sing and dance for old folk, and play some videos. He had thousands of videos. I marvelled at the energy out of him coming from a 7 hour flight! I felt sorry for him, so made an effort to be kind, yet at the same time realized my tendency to attract strange men on flights. I didn't know what to do, so as I rushed to the passport police, I broke my lovely peacock ring - dang again! In the rush of people, I lost my fellow. Maybe, it was just as well, as there was nothing I could do for him!

It was gloriously sunny. My sista Sonya met me, and we enjoyed a nice creamy Bewley's Cappuccino - yum yum! You have to have your Bewley's coffee. It's Ireland's answer to Starbucks.

Home is now in Sonya and David's luxurious hotel 'The Uppercross House Hotel' and what comfort!  (www.uppercrosshousehotel.com). The food is 'ta die for'. Mum had lamb last evening and I had a chicken curry. Mother and I share a two-bedroomed suite with our own kitchen, and two bathrooms. She was in great form and looking terrific. I want to look like that at near 91 d.v.! Uppercross is located in Rathmines, which is Dublin's answer to Blvd. St. Michel. Need I say any more... It is right in the heart of the action, surrounded by shops and bars and restaurants. You can walk into the centre of Dublin from here. A bright, buzzy place. And I love it. When I lived in Dublin this is where I liked to hang out. I lived in Ranelagh, just a short walk from Rathmines.

Now, it's time to catch up on my beauty sleep!

Talk soon!

Love ya,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment