Saturday, June 29, 2013

MY FAVOURITE ESCAPE

We all need a little time to ourselves...right? Just someplace where you can go to brood, think, dream, or simply escape. Currently, this is what I love to do... When mum has had breakfast, is washed, and needs to go back to bed for a few hours, I head into Grafton Street, which is perhaps my favourite haunt in Dublin. I like it because it is always buzzing with life, and you just never know who you would bump into!

There are two places that I particularly love on Grafton Street - no NOT the shops this time!! One is the iconic Bewley's Cafe, which has offered unrivalled hospitality and delight to tea and coffee lovers for over a century now. They have the best pastries in the world, and their coffee makes a nice change from Starbucks, though I did spy with my little eye a Starbucks across the street, now housed in the very fashionable B.T.'s store! If you are visiting Dublin - Bewley's on Grafton Street is a must-see! The beauty of the interiors, with its stained glass windows, elegant art work, statues, and wood carving, is a delight for all the senses. Breakfast in Bewley's before 'doing' the shops is the ultimate in pleasure...!!

The second place I adore is tucked away a few short steps from Bewley's Cafe. It is the Clarendon Street Church. Clarendon Street is just off Grafton Street. When you exit the side entrance of Bewley's you are facing the church...what could be easier.

This little church has been there forever, and despite being surrounded by noisy, vibrant shoppers, when you enter its sacred space, it is an oasis of calm and tranquility - simply lovely. The last time I was there, a lovely English girl came up to me and asked me where she could buy a bible. She looked very upset, and seemed to be pregnant. I couldn't stop thinking of the poor girl. She was clearly really distraught. As I prayed, I looked in my bag to see if there was any little thing I could give her, like a medal or something. I found a lovely laminated picture of Our Lady, and decided if she was still in the church, I would give it to her. Sure enough, there she was behind me. I approached her and asked if she was having a baby. She looked at me sadly and said 'Not Anymore'. She had either had a miscarriage, an abortion, or something like that, to cause such upset in her. I gave her the little picture of Our Lady, and told her to pray to her with all her heart, and that Our Lady would look after her. She smiled a grateful smile, and I wished her well.

I had to get two masses for mother; one for the deceased man in Kilkee, and another for a cousin who had died. So in I headed to the office. While waiting in line, I saw this little card with the following words on it. I liked it, and am going to share it with you now:-

AS I LIVE EACH DAY

As I live each day
May I do my part
to make one difference
to touch one heart,
and through each day
may it be my goal
to encourage one mind
and inspire one soul

Love makes our friends a little dearer
Joy makes our hearts a little lighter
Faith makes our paths a little clearer
Hope makes our lives a little brighter
PEACE brings us all a little nearer

Peace to you this day, and may the Force be with you!

Love,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment