Tuesday, June 18, 2013

MILAN WAS HOT HOT HOT...

and I'm not just talking about the weather! suffice to say it was in the 30's. I got in late last night and I'm on an Italian high at the moment...Pardon... I miss my travelling buddies. We had so much fun together and shared many wonderful adventures. For seven totally different and 'strong' ladies, we all got on remarkably well t.g. Mary the organizer of the trip did a superb job and found us two amazing hotels. Hotel Rio in Milan was smack in the middle of the action, Located off Duoma square, beside the cathedral, and kiddy corner from my favourite shopping mall IN THE WORLD - Emmanuel Vittoria - has to be seen to be believed - the BEST people watching cafes ever - better than the Champs elysees. I did my fashion tour of Milan sitting and sipping my very exensive cappuccinos there. I could happily spend all day chez Emmanuel Vittoria... and never get bored! I really miss it.

With Hotel Rio, we did not sign up for luxury, but we did for tip top location, superb value for money, cleanliness, good breakfast, delicious cappuccinos, and the Rio was grand! I would go there again in a heartbeat...and God willing I fully intend to!

We did not sign up for luxury either in Venice's 'Hotel Belle Epoque' but boy we lucked out and got it! Mary got us an incredible last minute deal. It's good apparently, to check 'last minute deals' on line. It was easily a 5 star hotel, but we got it for 45 euros per night - bed and waitress-served breakfast. The location, like Hotel Rio, was again bang in the middle of the action. The whole touristy thing right on our doorstop - Gondolas, picture postcard views, shops, delicious aromas. I got tipsy on all the stimulation, but thankfully, no hangover.

Breakfast at both hotels was similar in that it was Continental style, which consisted of juice, cereal, ham, salami, cheese, sweet croissants and pastries, delicious yogurt, rolls, packages of melba toast, tea and coffee/cappuccinos. You could easily last until lunch or longer...

Be prepared...Italy is expensive, especially in the touristy areas we visited such as Milan, Venice, Verona, and Lake Como, where cappuccinos will put you back 7 euros, and salads up to 14 euros a toss. You think that is expensive? How about 70 (yes seventy!) euros for 4 large cappuccinos, 1 small bottle of water and 1 (one) sandwich. Yes, that's what we paid for the pleasure of sitting at a cafe at the Emmanuel Vittoria centre I mentioned earlier. That did not stop me sitting there again; it's just the next time we ordered one 'normal' cappuccino each. You pay for the people-watching pleasure and yes, it's worth it!

Mama wants to go out for a walk now...so I shall say bye bye for now. Tommorow d.v. I will post you more adventures from my Italian adventures...will tell you about the fascinating people we met... Food... Fashion...Shops...Verona, Venice, Lake Como (did we meet George Clooney on the lake? Tune in tomorrow and find out...)

BFN

Love,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment