Monday, November 11, 2013

CAFE FAUBOURG VANCOUVER

At last I found the Cafe to supercede all Cafes! It is absolutely divine and located on Hornby Street, Vancouver - just off Robson Street, and directly across the street from the Vancouver Art Gallery (also worth a visit). This has to be one of the nicest cafes I have visited in a very long time, and was indeed one of the highlights of our recent trip. You can google it to see what I mean at Cafe Faubourg, Vancouver.

For one thing, not one person sitting there was working on their computer! Unlike Starbucks where nearly every single customer has his/her head down pounding away on their computer and taking up seats for hours...sorry, I had to get that off my irksome chest! I was at a Starbucks recently in Victoria and there were a few rather elderly little old ladies in the line up ahead of me. One said to the other "We'll have to go dear, there are no seats" and off they went really disappointed. My point...Coffee shops should be for cheery chatter and laughter. I think it destroys the ambience of a Cafe to see all the computers, though I can understand too why people on their own may wish to do this.

Cafe Faubourg was a bright, glittery, glamorous and decidedly decadent coffee shop with their sparkling chandeliers, high shiny silver chairs, movie screen on the wall, beautiful flower arrangements, and gas heaters on the veranda to facilitate customers who wished to sit and people watch on the Parisian style wicker chairs outside.

Their pastries were displayed like works of art - too beautiful to disturb...though once you got down to it, they tasted as good as they looked. They were more expensive than the usual cafes - but then this was not a 'usual' Cafe. At nearly $6 a pastry, it was worth it and if you are paying that much for pure pleasure, I can see why you would want to enjoy the artistry of the chef, instead of your computer.

For those who prefer savoury to rich desserts, their croque monsieur was really delicious but too big for one person, so I shared mine with Ali. The cappuccino was a little slow in coming, as the poor Barista was run off his feet! I pitied him. That was the only negative. It was a busy time, though I would imagine that would not be a problem at quieter times of the day. When it did finally arrive, it was worth the wait. The froth on top was at least half an inch high, and the sea of caffeine below was both hot and heady!

I give a ten out of ten to Cafe Faubourg! Whoever created and conceived this sumptuous establishment have gone a long way towards bringing back the old fashioned Cafe - Bravo!

How did my diet go this weekend? Now that you ask...it was on holidays too!!

Love,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment