Friday, November 1, 2013

HAPPY HALLOW WEEKEND!!

This photo was taken just before the Stampede!! Door bells began ringing from 6.00 p.m. onwards and we even beat last year's numbers. I had not one single bag left after making up 50 bags - in fact I ran short for just one bag, so I gave the big fellow a fistful of candy from my own secret stash. He went away smiling!

How do you like the outfit? I was thrilled with this year's effort. This is the outfit I got from the charity shop. The velvet cape was $3 and the dress $4. It could work for Christmas too haha!! Claudia treated me to the mask from the Halloween store and it added just the necessary oomph!! I wore the outfit again this morning to my TOPS meeting. I got a few smiles and comments. I told them the weekend and fun was just beginning. Last night was just an appetizer...!!

Some friends called around for supper. I served a new recipe I had never tried before and it was absolutely scrummy!! I will give you the recipe for it in my next blog, as I don't have it here with me in the office. It was Moroccan Chicken with a ton of different spices, chick peas, carrots, celery and 2 courgettes* (*zucchini in N. America). I had three helpings, it was so yummy. I served it on a bed of spiced cous cous with pine nuts and raisins. This recipe is a definite keeper!

Recognize 'Smiley Riley' on the mantlepiece? This fellow appears in all my home photos. Last time you saw him, he had shamrocks and green feathers flowing from his head. Valentine's Day sees hearts and red fluffy things, and Christmas, his favourite season of all - he goes insane with the glitter!!

This is my hall console converted for the Halloween season. This year we brought in some black and purple to spice things up a bit. The torch on the table we hid in the bushes. It is sensor controlled, and makes all sorts of scary noises as the children would walk past it. It even scares me!!

I have lots more photos on Facebook when my brilliant assistant, Victoria has time to help me with them. As always, Halloween was lots of fun. This year it seemed to last longer. People began parading around town in their costumes about two weekends ago, when the parties began. I never tire of seeing the creativity of people, and the amazing costumes they put together.

The weather was very helpful, and treated us to perfect Halloween temperatures. Mother nature was also most co-operative and supplied us with the most breaktakingly beautiful trees, dressed in a rainbow of Fall colours. It was totally worth all the effort expended. The little kids coming to the door, and their parents were very appreciative and as Kevin was saying; it`s the only time of year when the community opens their doors to strangers. I DO draw the line on ugly decorations. By that I mean NO skulls, bloody hands, worms, coffins, or skeletons. It`s all pumpkin pie sweet! Why would you want to dress up as a big fat baby in a diaper - it beats me!!

Now that Halloween is over, and pumpkin earrings have been briskly replaced by Rememberance Day Poppy pins, I shall lower the tone a bit, and pay homage to all the soldiers who gave their lives up for their countries. I also want to offer the month of November to my deceased friends and family. I was at mass today, and picked up some sheets to write down the names of loved ones. It is then put at the altar, and they will be remembered at mass during the month of November. I love the rituals of life. Party time is followed by a month of introspection - some would say it`s saving our money and energy for Christmas!! I think it is more about remembering our loved one, who are always around us, but invisible to the eyes.

Have a great weekend!

Love,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment