Saturday, November 9, 2013

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

I think in a past life I lived in California and danced barefoot to the Beach Boys. Well maybe not so 'past'...!! I enjoy the Americans' zest for life, weather, humour, t.v. shows, homes, fashion, love for God, generosity...and the list goes on.

As we approach the 50th anniversary of JFK's death, I'm thinking America... I can remember exactly where, and what, I was doing the moment I heard the tragic news of his assassination . Can you remember what you were doing? Assuming you were born that is! It was a Friday evening when I heard the news. My sisters and I were playing with a friend and had been invited for supper by her parents. I loved Friday nights as Mrs. Mulconroy would always make us the home made fries and they were delicious! When we heard the news it was as if the world had come to an end. In a way it had.

Mr. and Mrs. Mulconroy went around like zombies and the colour had drained completely from their faces. After the initial shock, tears began rolling down Mrs. Mulconroy's cheeks. She kept her back to us for fear we would notice. In a way the world had come to an end that tragic night. I dunno if we ever got the chips that night but it was small potatoes!

Growing up in Ireland, America was seen as 'The Promised Land' - a country that loved the Irish. It was the land of milk and honey where the streets were paved with gold. It was referred to affectionately as 'The fifth province'. Ireland has four provinces - Ulster, Munster, Connaught and Leinster. USA was the fifth!! Every house in Ireland had two prominent pictures on the walls - Jesus and JFK!

As a very very young child, I thought there were only two countries in the world - Ireland and America. They had Barbie dolls when we hadn't two shillings to rub together, and they had magic potions that got rid of pimples and zits in two days, and everybody there had big toothy smiles and beautiful white teeth - just like the Osmonds, the Kennedys and Doris Day!

I loved loved loved Lucy, Mary Tyler-Moore, Donny Osmond, David Cassidy, Rhoda, Doris Day, Disneyland, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, The Beach Boys, The Monkey's, Shirley Temple, Genie in the bottle, Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, Charlie's Angels, JFK, Jackie Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy. I was devastated when John Jnr. died in that airplane. I don't think I ever got over that, and his elegant and beautiful wife along with him. What a tragic loss.

Despite 911, Despite all the hurricanes, Despite the terrorists, Despite the recessions, Despite the ups and the downs...America the brave keeps on truckin'! My parting wishes for this great Nation would be as follows:-

Get rid of the Guns!
Hillary Clinton as the next President.
Al Gore gets back with his Missus after pleading insanity on bended knees.
Elvis is alive and well, and has been found wandering somewhere in the desert.
Donny Osmond re-releases 'Puppy Love'.
'Dancing with the Stars' invites me to participate in the next Season.

That's it for now,
Cheers and God Bless America!

Love,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment