Wednesday, September 12, 2012

GREETINGS FROM IRELAND!

Yes, I got here - just about! When we disembarked from the ferry in Vancouver, we discovered, much to my dismay, that there was a BIG car accident on the road ahead. We were sitting in traffic for a good 20-30 mins. as blazing bleeping ambulances whizzed past us. Just my luck! thought I, and I began wondering if Virgin Atlantic would get me on another flight - and I prayed! In tense times such as this, prayer is a soothing balm.

Got to the airport - no lineups t.g. - a smiling Virgin Atlantic employee told me - calmly (thanks lady) - to proceed to the gate - What? I was still on time. Apparently yes. I ran towards the gate before she changed her mind! When I saw they were only half way boarding, I decided to get a bottle of water for the journey. You're not going to believe it - the customer in front of me in the shop had a sandwich bag full of coins and wanted the cashier to take all the cash, and the balance from her credit card! Nooooooo! I was sick of delays by now. The poor cashier had to count out penny by penny, dime by dime, nickle by nickle,  loonie by loonie, toonie by toonie and all the while the queue behind was going NUTZ!! Never mind, it was worth the wait. Water helps with jet lag, and I find it a necessary requisite for the journey. I think I was the second last person to board the plane - but I made it - I made it!! Thanks Lord.

It was my first time flying with Virgin Atlantic and what a thrill. Easily the best airline I have EVER travelled with. Terrific in every sense of the word. Not just because they were nice to me about cutting it so fine, but other reasons too. The staff were all really friendly and genuinely wanted you to enjoy your flight. I liked the cheery red and purple colours, just like the red hatters brigade! They handed out a menu to choose from. Caesar salad to start, which actually tasted like proper caesar salad. Then a choice of three entrees - beef, chicken or vegetarian lasagne. I chose the lasagne and it was scrummy - seriously so. The desserts were served separately, and with panache! We all were given strawberries and cream sprinkled with crumbs of granola. Lastly, tea or hot chocolate - who would have thought? I never was offered hot chocolate on a flight before, and when they said 'hot' - they meant it. It helped you doze off afterwards. Maybe there was a magic potion in it? Just around the ear-popping moment, staff came around handing out packets of love hearts from a heart red bowl. They also handed out comfort packs for everybody, filled with treats to keep, toothpaste, brush, etc.

I had delightful travelling companions as well. To my left, a lovely German couple working in Belgium, and to my right, a most interesting English woman who taught geneology. My radio wasn't working properly, nor was the English lady's, so just before the flight terminated, the staff came around to us, apologizing profusely, and handed us a voucher for £20 off our next flight, or complimentary air miles. Would I travel with Virgin Atlantic again? - a resounding YES YES YES!

Got to London, enjoyed a delicious cappuccino and egg sandwich. Fortified, I did the duty free to bring some whiskey, sweets, etc. home. Later I parked myself in front of a chocolate store as I had an hour or so to kill. As I oogled the various chocolates on the shelves, imagining what they would taste like on my tongue, I dozed off! I must have been very tired. An angel woke me up as I could feel an invisible hand on my shoulder. Then it was RUN RUN RUN...as if I was being chased by Jason the slasher! They were already boarding the plane for Dublin, and were half way there. What if that angel had not woken me up?

The flight from London to Dublin was a treat - for me! Seriously, I could not believe it when the stewardesses came over to me and made a huge fuss. They said the co-pilot, a fellow called Jonathan, told them to look after the girl in the orange top, and I was the only one on the flight with an orange top. Why??? I asked in total surprise. "He said he recognizes your face". Obviously, it must have been a case of mistaken identity. He was there welcoming everybody on board at the beginning. Maybe...hah!! It was a chat up line??????? Ha ha - wonders never cease! They offered me complimentary champagne, but I opted for a diet coke instead. Then just as I was feeling like the Queen of England, a fellow donning a pink wig, and white sunglasses, sitting opposite me, began chatting me up!! Hello? I need to travel more!!

Apparently, he was travelling with 21 of his friends from London to Ireland for his stag party.
21 fellows and 11 berths! They were cruising on the Shannon, AND he invited me along. I told him I was going home to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday, and he said casually "Bring her along too" As if!! So, between complimentary drinks, and an invitation for my 90 year old mother and me to attend a stag party in a cruiser on the Shannon - it was a short, but very sweet flight to Dublin!

Shall talk soon!

Polly Hugs!

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment