Monday, September 3, 2012

THE FABULOUS MS. HAUGH BROWN HAYES

THERESE HAYES A.K.A. 'TEETA' - MY MOMMA!

It is my mother Teeta's 90th birthday today, and none of us, least of all herself, thought she would make it this far! She has battled heart disease, cancer, arthritis, weak knees, a kidney removed, to name but a painful few. As her doctor once remarked "Hell lady, is there anything you haven't had!" If I had to describe my mom in one sentence it would be 'a kind hearted, determined lady'. Her will to live is determined by her great love for my dad, and not wanting "to leave him behind". 'Him' being her soul-mate of nearly 60 years.

She lost her beloved dad to cancer, when she was only 8, and la ter her little sister Sheila from breast cancer at age 41. As the eldest of 3 sisters, her dream of becoming a Domestic Science teacher had to be scrapped, as she assumed the role of helping my grandmother in the family business; a position that came with a mountain of work and responsibility.

In her working life, she was postmistress in our home town. We also had a grocery shop attached to the post office. I enjoyed arranging, and re-arranging cans of food on the shelves. There was never a shortage of chocolate in the house! A staff of nearly 10 answered to mother, between postmen, office clerk, and home help. I would look at their faces when talking to her, and I could see nothing but great respect in their eyes. In addition to being a Postmistress, shopkeeper, Mini Hotelier, and mother of four girls, she was also a gifted writer. She had her first book 'Rebel's Harvest' published at a young age. And if she had more time to spare, I would have a book of hers, for every finger on my hands.

In the summer time we let out 9 bedrooms to tourists, and catered for more than 30 people some nights. Food was prepared and served by all of us girls and dad, and trust me! It was superior to the Ritz! My job in all of this was to dress the beds, and bake the 'silly twirls' and the chips. The food must have been good, because the same Priests, Christian Brothers and even a Bishop, came back to stay with us, summer after summer. And ALL that was just my mother's side of the working day! My dad was equally busy in his work as a producer of fruit and vegetables for the busy tourist community, and owned a holiday park, with more than 80 mobile homes on it. Yes, it was a busy home. Despite a hectic schedule, my mother always managed to look like her heroine, Greta Garbo, with not a hair out of place.

My sisters and I were the best dressed girls in town. Our hair was perfectly coiffed, and our identical dresses were a dream to wear, designed by my mother, the Gloria Vanderbilt of her day. Occasionally, I was dressed in a separate colour, because apparently I was 'an individualist' and liked being different. We loved the adventure of going up to visit mother's seamstress in her little country farm house. I can still recall the smell of the cow dung, and the sound of the hens clucking in their dusty farmyard, and standing on Mrs. Kinnery's kitchen table with pins on my seams, trying to avoid being pierced by them. She had handsome sons who loved to tease us! I remember this little ditty of theirs "Hay and oats for the Kilkee goats, eggs and rashers for the Doonbeg dashers". We were obviously the 'Kilkee Goats!'.

The following were mother's rules for living a good life:-

1)   Never go to a person's house with your hands hanging - bring something.

2)   Always send a 'thank-you' note.

3)   Never invite strangers to your home. Resentment will follow.

4)   Loose lips sink ships.

5)   If you're doing something - do it right - or not at all.

6)   Good breeding is not always the territory of the rich.

7)   A man without God, is like a bird without wings.


So without further ado, I nominate Therese Hayes this day as my 'Diva of Distinction'.









1 comment: