Monday, September 24, 2012

I CAME I SAW AND I CONQUERED...

that dreaded Dublin traffic! OMG you need eyes in the back of your head, and then some. Sneezing in the car is not recommended - keep it in! Tourists need a holiday after driving in Ireland. Why? The roads are too narrow - drivers are impatient - petrol is exhorbitant - pedestrians are insane, especially around the city, people run right across the road. One day - I kid you not - I was driving in traffic when this fellow appeared from nowhere, ran in front of the car, balancing two cups of coffee in his hands, without spilling a drop! Another day I was reversing on a side street, to avoid one of the many one-way streets, when this tiny little kid ran out on the street, unattended, followed by his brother on a tricycle on his  way towards the main road! By the grace of God, I didn't hit either! Where were their mothers? As for parking...you find it, but it's expensive! Things I take for granted in Victoria are the ease of driving, and parking.

The past two weeks were busy, as I suspected they would be. Looking after elderly parents, and my dad with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's is not easy, but like everything, it had its golden moments, which I will treasure in my heart. The little chats we had, while enjoying a bag of Tayto crisps, and a chocolate sweet. The quiet simple things we did together, like looking at the birds around the garden, the visiting fat ginger cat, collecting pears from the big pear tree in the garden, listening to the clock ticking on the wall, and just reminiscence therapy...talking about all the people we knew from long ago, and singing familiar songs together. Dad loved when I sang songs to him so we sang a lot together, and hugged a lot. He cries easily and just as quickly forgets about it. Mother was looking amazing at 90! and sleeps a lot now. Her brain is as sharp as dad's is slow. The time flew, and here I am back in Canada. As quick as all that!

Despite the recession - despite the doom and gloom - despite the brain drain from all the young bright graduates emigrating to Australia and Canada - despite the high cost of living - despite ALL THAT - Irish people still have a wonderful sense of humour, and are still at heart, kind people. If you ask directions, they almost walk with you! They are still friendly, cheerful, fun loving, and love their music, food and craic! (not cocaine, though some do...) Craic, as in fun I mean! I visited a few churches and went in to light some candles. I was surprised to see men - young and old, just sitting in the church in the middle of the day praying. I guess a sign of the unemployment! I found it unusual that there were more men in the churches, than women. Usually, it is the reverse.

The supermarkets are happy places - as are all places where the smell of food is around! We still love our grub in Ireland, and boy is it ever good! I noticed that kids would be dancing, and old ladies would be singing along to the songs on the intercom. Starbucks had just opened up a new cafe in our local shopping centre. For some reason, I thought their mozza wrap was much tastier than the one I get in Canada. The pastry was not as heavy, and it was delish! By contrast, the coffee did not taste as good. The Irish milk is not as compatible with Starbucks coffee. It works better with chocolate!

I got down to the West of Ireland for two days and stayed in the lovely Old Ground Hotel in Ennis, with my sister Sonya. I had my wedding reception there 29 years ago. We met loads of Americans in search of their Irish roots and had lots of fun. It was like staying in somebody's home, with the turf fires burning, and the lovely earthy smell that adds to the pleasure of it all. People were so friendly. The ambience there is so personal. There were various places around the hotel to sit, each with its own soft overstuffed sofas, and welcoming fireplace. We met a man who had worked as a Chef there 33 years ago and this was his first time returning since he left. He had just been up to the Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival and said the action was thrilling!! And the craic (FUN) was mighty!

The shops in Ennis are amazing, especially the clothes shops, and YES YES YES, I did stick to my resolution - NO MORE STUFF! Three months down - 9 to go!! I did buy stuff for the girls though, as that does not count. There is a lovely little coffee shop in Ennis where we enjoyed a daily brew. We were serenaded by a handsome German busker, surprisingly well dressed for a busker, and his trusty dog by his side. The German work ethic was apparent in his efforts to please us, the listeners!

It feels weird waking up in Canada this morning...I miss the birds in dad's garden and his pear tree, fat and ripe for the picking! It was some journey though, and I'm not ready to repeat it for a while. You need to be fit as a fiddle for all the walking they make you do in London! And all that searching through bags... I had to empty my bags in London and got chatting to a lovely lady from California, while I was waiting in line for my bag to be searched. We made eye contact and shared a laugh at the lunacy of it all. She told me she had breast cancer 20 years ago and had promised God that if he saved her life, she would make his name known. The doctors told her she had little chance of survival, as it was bad...and now 20 years later, she was a living miracle! "Thanks to God's grace" she repeated more than once. Then she was whisked off in her wheelchair by an airport official, and that was the end of our lovely conversation.

Sat for 3 hours in the airplane (from 12.30 to 3.30) as there were problems with re-fuelling. Then a further 9 hours of flying! 12 hours that thankfully passed quickly enough. I was lucky to have four seats to myself so I was able to stretch out, and they fed me well!

Now back to life in Canada...gotta get into the office...going to cook seafood chowder for supper to enjoy with the delicious McCambridges brown bread I brought back from Ireland. The sun is shining...so choo choo for now!

Polly Hugs!

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment