Thursday, October 11, 2012

CHANGES IN THE AIR...

Went to bed last night and it was summer. When I awoke this morning, winter had arrived - just like that! Yes, it's here now. Kevin was wise taking in the plants last weekend, and I was foolish not to have unpacked my autumn/winter clothes. Guess who the realist in our family is? We didn't have time to think about the rapid change in seasons, just like Claudia when she went from a Canadian summer, to a New Zealand winter, all in a day!

It's not just the weather that's changing, our home was all action yesterday as we moved things around, in an effort to create peace, joy and harmony. We had to get movers in to help us move an enormous brute of a television, from our front living room to the basement. We replaced it with the one that was in the basement, which was a high definition one. Yeah! Finally peace in my parlour.

Next, we dived into some furniture stored in the basement. We found a beautiful old deacon's bench which should have been sitting in the hall, and not in the basement.  What were we thinking? It looks great there, and is functional. Now there is somewhere to plonk your posterior as you change your shoes from outdoors, to furry cozy indoor 'Honey I'm Home' shoes. That's where the joy and happiness part comes in! The bench used to be a priest's bed a long time ago.

In addition we found a lovely country french dressing table which fits nicely in Claudia's bedroom. We got the movers to move a desk from Claudia's room which I had put there while she was  away. Now it's back in my office in the basement. After that was accomplished, we got Nick & Nephew to dispose of two old t.v. sets, plus a monster green chair I used to sit on with the girls for storytime 20 years ago. It was torn, flea-ridden, had served its purpose, and taking up a lot of sentimental space, which is now freeeeeeeeeeee  (for new stuff haha!)

Talking of new stuff...yesterday, I found the 'perfect' hall console table after years of searching. And I wasn't even looking for it, when I finally found it. They say the same thing happens with love! I was minding my own business en-route to the letter box when I passed this cute antique shop, a few doors up from our office and Wow!!! There it was sitting outside in the sunshine...waiting for me...after all the years of searching. I knew in an instant...

The kind lady in the shop said "Take it home dahlin', try it out, and if you don't like it, bring it back tomorrow. No need to pay now" "Do you not want an imprint of my Visa?" I asked in surprise. "Nah, I trust you're not going to be leaving town with a table you don't want" she said, very casually. "Would you like my name and tel. number at least?" I'll bet that wouldn't happen in London or Dublin or Paris I was thinking to myself. By pure co-incidence the table had belonged to a retired American psychiatrist. What are the odds? Going from one psychiatrist's home to another!!

I love my new hall console table. As I write, she is sitting pretty winking over at the deacon's bench. At last, a place for our house and car keys to rest! And a place for one's posterior too - my cup runneth over.
A place for everything, and everything in its place = PEACE, HARMONY and HAPPINESS...

Choo Choo my darlings!

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment