Wednesday, October 24, 2012

TASTY TUESDAY YUM YUMS

O.K. you're right! This is Wednesday. Don't know what happened to Tuesday. Divine mystery, just like chicken cacciatore was for me. Years ago when I broke my leg skiing, a kind neighbour in Calgary dropped off a most delicious chicken dish for the family, complete with pasta. I have tried for years and years to re-create her masterpiece, but without luck...that was until last Friday - success at last!

There are several recipes out there in internet land. I tried the following, and like all recipes, changed it slightly to fit in with the contents of my cupboard and fridge. I cooked mine in the slow cooker, which is my kitchen BFF. You can throw anything into the pot, first thing in the morning for dinner that evening, or last thing at night, for the following day. Before a party, I always make my butter chicken in the slow cooker, and then know if everything else is a disaster, I've that to rely on. I call it my culinary 'safety net'. The following recipe says prep time 5 mins. - I'd say nearer 10-15, by the time you assemble your ingredients and chop up the chicken, pepper and onion, and get out your herbs and spices.

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

chicken-cacciatore
http://recipeforchicken.org/chicken-breast-recipes/italian-chicken-cacciatore-recipes/attachment/chicken-cacciatore/

3 lbs. lean chicken breasts cut in generous bite size pieces
I large onion diced
2  cans tomato paste  *
6 ozs sliced mushrooms
1 green pepper chopped
2-4 garlic cloves minced (I used 4 large as I love garlic)
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
half tsp. celery powder
1 tsp. salt
half cup dry white wine
3  tbs. olive oil
1  tsp. crushed red pepper flakes  (optional - I didn't use)
1 tbs. Italian seasoning


*I didn't have tomato paste, so just put in 1 can chopped tomatoes
and half jar spaghetti sauce -  tomato/basil flavour. Some recipes say one jar of spaghetti sauce. So you could use either. Also I added Italian seasoning as I love it. I did not have celery salt, so I substituted with 2-3 stalks of fresh celery chopped. Likewise, I did not have dried basil, but as luck would have it, I had fresh basil in the fridge, so I chopped up a few sprigs.

METHOD:

Turn on slow  cooker, or regular saucepan. Add olive oil and chopped onion. On top of the onion place the chicken. Next sprinkle the chicken with the Italian seasoning, followed by the mushrooms and the peppers. Lastly, mix all the remaining ingredients together and pour over the chicken and veggies. Let it cook   for 3-4 hours on high or 7-9 on high if you are using a slow cooker, otherwise, just keep checking it yourself. As soon as the aroma coming from the kitchen drives you insane with hunger...you know it's ready! I served it with penne the first night but found it too slippery. We tried fusilli (twirly pasta) the second night and preferred it. You can also serve this dish on rice. It's also low calorie, so ENJOY!

*********************************************************************************

VEGETARIAN SHEPHERD'S PIE



This recipe is SO easy, you could do it in your sleep! and sinfully low calorie into the bargain - and inexpensive! - a WIN WIN situation!

INGREDIENTS:

2 packs of Yves veggie ground or any veggie ground. 
1 large onion diced
3 carrots diced
4 ozs. frozen peas
2 packs of shepherd's pie flavour mix
4-5  cloves garlic minced
2 tbs.  olive oil
6-7 potatoes
butter and milk for potatoes
Grated cheese  for top of pie
salt and pepper 

METHOD:

Heat olive oil in saucepan, and fry onions until see through.  Add two packs of veggie ground. Mush it with a potato masher, until it is broken up. Add some water, cautiously, a few drops,  so the mix does not burn. Next  pour in the flavour mix (follow instructions on packet first). Add carrots, peas and garlic. Let it simmer away gently and if mixture is too thick, add a little more water. Be cautious with the water, and just add it gradually as you don't want it too watery!

Once the shepherd is happily playing in the saucepan, make up the potatoes. Peel and cook the potatoes (I do it for speed in the microwave). When the potatoes are cooked, place in bowl, flavour with salt and pepper. Add some butter or cream (tastes better) but low fat milk will do the job too! Mash until they are fairly liquidity, or easy to spread.

Lastly, get your casserole dish, spray with PAM so things don't stick. Add  veggie mix. Cover with potato mix. Use a fork to flatten it. Lastly, pour some grated cheese on top

Pop into oven (I do  375 degrees). It takes about  half an hour. As soon as it starts to bubble, and the cheese  is melted, it is ready.

ENJOY! Serve with side salad, or more veggies.

Choo Choo and happy cooking!

Polly Hugs, 

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment