Thursday, November 15, 2012

TWENTY YEARS AGO TO THE DAY!

Yes, exactly twenty years ago TODAY, Kevin, Alexandra, Victoria and I landed on Canadian soil - a little family with big dreams - and what a sad welcome... I can remember very clearly the desolation I felt in my heart. It was dark, freezing cold, and there was nobody there to greet us at the airport, just an envelope with a key to the hospital house, and directions on how to get there.

Where were all those friendly doctors, and their wives, who lured us to Fort McMurray? The lavish dinner parties we attended before we decided to emigrate...Where were they all now? I wondered in disappointment. Nobody - No milk in the fridge, or sugar, or bread. We were starving. Poor Kevin dropped us off at the empty house, and then went in search of a shop. The loneliness, and sense of isolation was FIERCE. My survival instinct kicked in with a vengeance. I wanted to get my family all cozy, food in the fridge, and into our warm snug beds, and hot chocolate... I knew we would be fine. See, the Pollyanna glad game began all those years ago! And there was lots to be glad about.

In 1992, Fort McMurray was desperate for a Psychiatrist, and when Kevin accepted the position, he was the only Pyschiatrist for 36,000 people - and disturbed ones at that! I wont lie, those first few months were pretty brutal. I was so lonely I kept my old shampoo bottle with the Dunnes Stores price tag on it - to help me feel at home!!

No Spring... no daffodils...no grass...no green...no colour. White outside, and beige inside. Cabin fever that Tylennol could never cure...painfully dry skin...nose bleeds...electricity shocks... forever snow...faceless people who hid away in their homes, and never walked on streets... drive-in garages that eliminated any human contact. No wonder people needed a Psychiatrist!!

Poor Kevin worked like a dog. I stayed inside all day long with my little babies. It was way too cold to go outside, and besides, we were snowed in! We would have to dig our way out! Victoria was only 8 weeks old, and I was petrified she would get frost bite. When we did go out, it took nearly an hour to get us all dressed. I had to bury my vanity and don a balaclava! I looked like a robber. Every part of us was covered. The temperature that first Christmas was minus 60 degrees below with the wind chill - I kid you not! A can of coke left in the car, parked in the garage - froze to death in minutes!

So yes, we plunged in at the deep end...got the hard stuff done first. I appreciated the words on a coffee coaster Kevin gave me "Things are difficult before they become easy" - How true!!

In those early bleak days, television became my friend, as well as the Sears catalogue. It didn't take me long to discover the joy of shopping by catalogue, and the excitement of waiting for it to arrive. We shopped and boy did we shop!! Well we had nothing. The girls and I would watch all the kid shows together - 'Lamb Chops' being a favourite, and Mr. Rogers - we just loved him! We would read lots of story books, listen to music, and paint pictures together. The girls were happy as Larry. Their needs were simple. They had my un-divided attention - and I fully immersed myself in the joy of motherhood - that was surely the platinum lining!

Our little family has come a LONG way in 20 years. If I knew then, what I know now - would I do it again? Hmm not so sure...I surely would have done some things differently. How did I keep sane without internet or cheap telephone calls and brutal weather? The answer in 4 words - FAITH - FAMILY - FINANCIAL COMFORT.

Tonight we celebrated our 20th anniversary by ordering in some Thai food, and watching Top of the Pops from 1977! It's the little things that keep us glad, isn't it?

Choo Choo Pollyanna Pals! and remember...

 'THINGS ARE DIFFICULT BEFORE THEY BECOME EASY".

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment