Wednesday, January 9, 2013

D.I.Y. SELF-ESTEEM

Somebody posted me an interesting article from the Serenity Ranch blog  (check out Serenity Ranch). This is a respite centre for folk recovering from the adverse effects of alcohol and drug abuse. I thought the 30 day self-esteem builder was one worthy of sharing...

The more negative self-talk  - the lower your self-esteem (makes sense)
The    "      positive    "     "     - the higher   "               "

How to help yourself in moments when you need a lift.

Make a written list of the following about yourself:-

10 (5 would be plenty I think!) character assets
10 physical assets
10  people who love you
10 things  you are grateful for
5   things you would like to change about yourself

Think about and write on paper...

What kind of God or 'Higher Power' do you have in your life?
What does your 'Higher Power' want for you?
What is your 'Higher Power' willing to do for you?

REMEMBER!

Work on Positive thoughts only.
Progress - not - perfection.
You are somebody - God does not make trash.

When dressing in the morning, look in the mirror and affirm character assets. Say 'I love  you' five times to your image (I don't know about you but if I did that at home they'd commit me!!)

While dressing, think about the people who love you and things you would like to change.

Pick one thing on your list to work from.

In the evening, write all the positive things you did that day  and the good   feelings you had. What made you happy? Don't even mention the negative stuff. Get that gratitude journal going...I think I could handle that one. It's a good suggestion not to mention the negative stuff. Hmm...

Write your most outstanding character assets of the day (were you  kinder than usual? more patient with others?) Why were they outstanding?

Finally, spend time with a loved one to discuss your day.  What if you don't have a significant other? I'd suggest a cuddly toy or pet -  Better again God!!

Hmm...sounds like a lot of work. But when I think of the amount of time our computer or television charms from us...maybe it's not so much work after all!!

After all - you're worth it!...Right?

Have a great day!

Cheers,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment