Sunday, January 20, 2013

SO SORRY...!!

I did promise I'd be back 'the following day' to share some Gretchen wisdom but my mentor Ms. G. has had me working like a slave - Insanely busy and I haven't had a second to blog! Krazeeee... But it's all good!

Here's how she started her New Year...Instead of being confronted by a million resolutions, she decided to tackle one task per month and to focus on it - hmm smart. Her month of January was dedicated to the pursuit of ENERGY. Yes, energy. She decided she wanted more energy in her life so she could enjoy her kids, and not be cranky all the time, nagging her poor husband, kicking the dog, etc. etc.

She looked at her energy draculas and took them on, one by one. That's why I have been so busy, I've been following suit and because I started this January resolution mid way through the month, I had a lot of catching up to do. (Phew! it's exhausting trying to work on your energy!)  Let's just focus on January in this blog. We'll cross the February bridge when we get to it, D.V.

DRACULAS (sucking her energy)

NOT GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP
CLUTTER (Internal and external)
NAGGING TASKS
NOT GETTING ENOUGH EXERCISE

Did you know junk attracts junk? Just like energy begets energy. (It was Joan Collins who informed me of the latter nibble of wisdom). I kinda guessed the junk thing because every time I put a piece of paper, or a random glove on a sideboard, when I look again there is a ton of stuff sitting on the same spot! It happens.

We have 10 days left in January so it's not too late Polly Pals. We can do this together. The miracle of sleep, and the hell of not getting enough, has really opened my eyes...

I made an effort to go to bed 1-2 hours earlier each night. The difference the next day is incredible. At first I found it difficult to sleep earlier, but just being in bed still helps with the energy level, and by day 3 my body was demanding I go to bed early. I read, pray, and just chillax and get mellow. In fact, it thrilled me to be in bed before Kevin. He always beats me because he is an early riser.

By the way did you know the average person gets 6.9 hours of sleep during the week and 7.9 on the weekend, and one study on sleep has shown that one extra hour of sleep per night does more for a person's happiness than getting a $60,000 raise. (mind you I wouldn't say no to the raise!) If you find it difficult to sleep, Ms. G. shared some well researched suggestions:-

Keep your bedroom slightly chilly
Don't do any taxing brain work at least an hour before bedtime
Do a few pre-bed stretches
Keep the lights low around bedtime
Have your room pitch black

I have a few to add to G's list...

Warm bubble bath listening to Leonard Cohen (on the stressful days)
Dream about Island hopping with Colin Firth (makes for a yummy night's sleep)
Don't eat a huge meal close to bedtime (unless it is with Colin)
No electrical gadgets in bedroom.
Have a nice cup of 'nighty night' herbal tea before bed
Relax the brain and do TURN IT OFF. A busy brain = No Sleep!

Sleep is such a wonderful thing and your body will thank you with tons more energy!

Next...The clutter...the nagging tasks...Let's just say I'm working on it.

We still have almost two weeks left - Yeah!!

On that cheerful note, Choo Choo for now!

Love yourselves today and take a happy train of thought ride.

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment