Thursday, January 3, 2013

MAN'S BEST FRIEND

A credit card - Yes! but that's not what I meant... I was referring to my furry four legged kids. I love animals. Even the poor misfortunate mice that 'once' resided in our garage. They had become really friendly and would be there to greet us with when we drove back home. You'd see their beady little eyes smiling back at you. Secretly, I liked them and felt sorry they had to be zapped! Kevin said he'd let them enjoy Christmas before 'doing the necessary'. I reminded him of Mr. Bean's Christmas, and asked if we could also put out Christmas stockings filled with cheese treats for the mice - before the grim reaper claimed them. It didn't happen.

Next, the Deer...I can totally understand why Kevin and our neighbour Judith get really annoyed at them, especially when they gobble up all our plants. (they're hungry - can you blame them?) But again, I like them. They are grown up versions of my little Tallulah Conchita, with their large luminous ears and long skinny legs. When I see them hopping down the street I think of Kangaroos. They are SO cute. I feel guilty because I know I should be mad at them, just like everybody else. At least Kevin allowed me put the gilded version on our Christmas table!

So now we get to 'Man's - and woman's - real and truest best friend' - the domestic dog. If you do not have one - invest in one! You will not regret it. As our Lulu approaches her 12th birthday in May d.v. I give thanks for the day she arrived into our lives. If you want to be happy and content in life - adopt a pet. It's a well known fact they lower the blood pressure - O.K. not when they soil the carpet! but most of the time they do help us relax with their lazy, loving ways and their ability to 'just chill'.

Which leads me to my final point - did you know dogs and cats can suffer from depression? I was surprised when I heard that on the radio today. I noticed both Lulu and Chi Chi were out of sorts during Christmas. I thought it was the extra turkey I had given them had upset their digestive systems. Listening to the lady on the radio it all came together for me. I had my 'Eureka' moment. They had not been getting their walks and their routine was out of whack - just like kids - just like grown ups!

I was concerned Lulu was 'on the way out' and after Daddy's recent demise, could not take another hit. So taking the advice of the lady on the radio - brought the two dogs out for a good long walk and hey presto! They both came back to life.  If your dog/s seem out of sorts, it is recommended that you play with them and also bring them out for 1-2 good walks a day. I just didn't know dogs suffered from depression - did you? You sure learn something new every day. They are worth being nice to - another good excuse for getting that walk in!

Choo Choo for now!

Patricia xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment