Sunday, July 14, 2013

RESILIENCE

One of God's most precious gifts to us  is 'Resilience'. If you have even a scrap of it in your DNA, it's worth clinging to like a dog with a bone. Nourish it...Respect it... and exercise it every day. So that when you really need a good dose of it, it's there ready and waiting for you. Resilience is what keeps your boat afloat on life's choppy seas. It's 'Hope' turned inside-out.

Resilience is what helped Jeffrey Archer write a bestseller while he was in prison serving time for mis-adventure. I also look to my adorable little canine Chi Chi for inspiration in this department. Prior to becoming blind, Chi Chi was a lively little mutt and always happy to protect her territory. Now, she is adapting with awesome courage and resilience to her very limiting condition. She falls down holes, and only the other day fell down the basement stairs. Ouch! I look at her, and it's like she's saying to me "That's Life...ya just gotta get on with it...now give me my dinner Ma!"

Only this past week, the newspapers have been full of deeply inspiring stories about highly courageous and resilient women. I take my hat off to each and every one of them. 'Blinded student prepares for Law School'. That was a heading on last Thursday's 'Times Colonist'. It told of the remarkable courage and resilience of 35 year old Pakistani woman Rumana Monzur. In 2010 Rumana left her daughter, husband and parents behind in Dhaka, Bangladesh to study Political Science in Vancouver. The following year when she went back to visit family, her husband tried to murder her and launched a vicious attack on her that left her blind in both eyes. Two years on Monzur has learned to read braille. She uses a cane to navigate when she walks, and she no longer covers her eyes with shaded glasses. Her attitude - take me as you find me. The scars on her face are fading...

Having successfully presented her Master's thesis on the impact of climate change, she was accepted by several law schools, and this September she hopes to enter UBC's law program. Now that's 'Resilience' with a capital 'R'!! The only thing that really saddens her is not being able to see her daughter's face and smile. But life goes on and so does Rumana!

Next I read about the progress of the three Cleveland women, Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight who were kidnapped and held captive in a dark basement for ten years by 52 year old lunatic bus driver Ariel Castro - and God knows what he did to them! Just imagine the poor girls were fed McDonald's takeaways for ten years through a hole in the door. I'll bet they will never want to see a McDonald's again!!

They escaped two months ago and are now thanking the public for all the love and support they received. Michelle Knight, one of the victims said "I may have been through hell and back, but I am strong enough to walk through hell with a smile on my face, and my head held high. I will not let the situation define who I am. I will define the situation. I don't want to be consumed by hatred". Brave words for a girl who was beaten, sexually abused, and starved on occasion for ten years.  

Last, and certainly not least - Malala Yousafzai, the 16 year old Pakistani schoolgirl who was shot and nearly killed by the Taliban. Her courage and resilience is nothing short of awe inspiring. This past week she addressed the United Nations as part of her campaign to ensure free compulsory education for every child. As I listened to her speak, she had the poise, wisdom and clarity of a woman much older than 16.

So, next time you are faced with a difficult situation...think of Rumana, Amanda, Gina, Michelle and Malala - five ordinary women thrust into extraordinary situations. Could any situation be worse than theirs? I think it's true for Kevin - People are incredibly resilient!

Choo Choo for now and Happy Travels!!

Love,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment