Thursday, November 13, 2014

A FESTIVE FANTASYLAND

On my tea break yesterday, I googled upon a most enjoyable Christmas wonderland. What a delight it was! Everything you ever wanted to know about decorating your home for Christmas - your hearth, table, front door wreath, entrance - the whole nine yards. Images were accompanied by cheesy...oops meant cheery! festive music to get you in the mood. I got some great ideas, and I will share a few of my favourite with you, for your entertainment, and edja-macation!

Sharpen your finger tips, and let's get googling...sorry I don't have their website addresses. Just type in the words.

Best of Christmas Decorating 2014

Decorate a tree with Kevin - not mine get your own Kevin!! (The tree decorating Kevin is from Trees and Trends)

Christmas Decorating with Rebecca Robeson (from Robeson Design)

Christmas Garlands with Lisa Robertson

Nancy Alexander on wreaths and greens

There are tons more, but the above were some of my favourite. I got great ideas from Nancy Alexander on giving a fresh twist to my old familiar front door wreath. She suggested putting fresh greens around a faux garland with fresh holly, etc. Never thought of that - thanks Nancy!

Rebecca Robeson suggested mixing up the way you decorate each year. Using old decorations in a novel way, can make them feel like new ones. I liked that idea, and will definitely put it to the test this Christmas. It is too expensive for me to change my colour scheme. I always use the traditional red, gold, and green hues. It suits my wall colours - and my wallet!! Sure, if I was a Hollywood movie star...Cobalt blue and silver tree one year, deccadent purple another year...what fun!

Another great idea for a centrepiece is to use a feather boa, and wrap it around some pillar candles (I think the led battery candles would be safer). Add some pine cones, and large colourful Christmas balls to the mix.

On my walk this morning, I came across a friendly bunch of arborists cutting down a beautiful and fragrant old pine tree. The branches would be  perfect for my faux wreath, and Nativity set I thought - thanks to ideas I got from Nancy Alexander and Rebecca Robeson. I asked the fellows for a few branches, before they were gobbled up by their big noisy machine. They were delighted to be of assistance, and told me the branches could last until Christmas and beyond, if kept in water.

So my Polly Pals, get thee to a garden with a scissors. Keep an eye out for a holly bush, pine tree, or even broken branches from the last wind storm. You can spray paint the twigs in silver, or gold, and hang jolly baubles from them. Decorating with panache, and practicality...to quote Martha Stewart..."It's a good thing".

Some ideas to get you creative juices flowing...

EnJOY!

Hugs,

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment