Sunday, November 23, 2014

WE CAME, WE SAW, WE GLITTERED!

When it comes to Christmas decorating - Go big or go home! Claudia and I went big, and came home from Vancouver looking like two disco balls. Our hair, skin and clothing was sparkling from all the glitter we handled over the weekend. Great fun, and now the condo is looking all Christmassy and happy. I finally realized my dream of having that silver and blue tree. The tree in the condo is a winter wonderland of silver, midnight blue, and lime green. I love those colours, and they look perfect against the backdrop of winter white walls.

Fun accomplished, our return trip to Victoria was so different from the outgoing journey. We booked the 3.00 pm ferry, but magically got on the 2.00 sailing, just as the cars were boarding. We got home in an hour and 45 mins - no line ups, no excitement - except for when a voice over the mic announced the appearance of humpback whales, which were best viewed from the window near where we were sitting.

I was sipping my yummy cappuccino, gazing out at the majestic ocean, when suddenly a throng of roaring, excited people came galloping towards us - Help! Old people, young people, tourists with cameras in hand. They came out of nowhere, in less time than a sneeze. I told Claudia that if it was a scramble to get a life boat, we'd be left behind!

They were hoping to get a glimpse of the whales, when all I could see was a whale of an ass almost touching my face. It was denim clad, and didn't give a damn about the fact I was sitting there, trying to drink my coffee, which was almost knocked out of my hand during the whale rush. For all that effort, the whales never appeared. I can't say I blame them! People moaned in disappointment. The whole episode was so funny, I couldn't contain the laughter. What is so exciting about whales? Even if it was Prince Charles swimming in the nip, I wouldn't give up my comfortable seat. I think all that running around in Vancouver had me wasted.

One thing I learnt from this trip - it pays to shop around! On a visit to pricey South Granville Street, I was surprised to see a pair of decorative faux silver candlestick holders which I got at Winners for $16, were selling for $70 at a store there. In addition, battery operated candles I bought for $6.99 each, were selling for $34.99. Winners is my favourite store. Their catchphrase is 'where you find fabulous for less'. The profit margins in some shops is enormous. Winners, though their prices are low, still make a decent profit.

Battery operated candles are all the rage over here at the moment, and they are safer too. Most people are now opting for them, as opposed to the real wax candles. I'm gradually replacing all my 'real' candles after the wax made such a huge mess over Halloween - never again!! The melting wax destroys walls, tablecloths, mirrors, tables, floors. Still haven't got rid of that dreadful black wax from some Halloween candles last year.

So shop around for best bargains. Replace all your wax candles for the battery run ones, and avoid the big mess! And last, but not least, mark your calendars - thirty two days to Christmas!!

Happy new week!

Hugs,

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment