Friday, November 7, 2014

CHRISTMAS IS COMING...

Yay! I got my first Christmas card yesterday. It was from my Aunt in England. What a thrill! I also went to my first Christmas Bazaar with Ali and Claudia last Tuesday at Sears. They had door prizes, Christmas music, bells, whistles, perfume, free gifts galore, food, tarot readers (if your purchases came to $75), free manicures, facials, make-up, eyebrow threading, etc. etc. All that girly sort of stuff that I am a sucker for.

The day after Halloween it was full-on Christmas in the shops - Wham Bam! It was weird, to say the least. I was still in my witchy zone, and it felt like seasonal jet lag!! I wish they wouldn't do that, but shops have to sell, people need jobs, and the wheel of life has to keep churning. There is nothing as heart warming as the sight of sleigh bells in the snow, hot chocolate by a roaring fireside, and all our troubles gone off to Timbuktu, which is what the jolly holly greeting cards convey.

So today Christmas is coming...Let it be fun this time. It starts with the Christmas cards, since most of my friends and family live abroad, this is a big part of my annual tradition. In truth, the cards have been in the shops weeks before Halloween - sick I know! I'm always drawn to cards with Angels and Doves, since they symbolize peace and love. I also like cards with images of big cozy fireplaces, with stockings hanging overhead - and a tiny one for the resident mouse!! Once the cards are bought, everything else falls into place. Everybody loves to get a happy card in their mail boxes to place on their mantlepiece. Computer technology will never deliver the same thrill.

For others, it starts with the baking. Wish I was a baker, but alas, I'm not. I do make delicious almond rocca however, and one year I gave a bag of it to friends and family. It went down a treat. I placed them in clear cellophane bags, tied with bells and bows. I have now added dark and white chocolate peppermint bark to my culinary repertoire. Delish, and so easy to make. Each Christmas there is a bake sale, and whenever my church has one, I will do either the rocca, peppermint bark, or rice krispie cookies. The latter I place in festive muffin cups, with a cheery foil covered candy in the middle. Easy peasy and quite delicious too. I love the lead-up to Christmas, bake sales, church sales, etc.

It's too soon for the music...no I think I will wait for December to start playing the music, and putting up the decorations. Television ads are beginning to creep in. So watch out - It's Coming...Christmas that is!! EnJOY the build up...Me too!!

Luv,

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment