Sunday, November 2, 2014

HAPPY HOLYWEEN!



It is no secret that I just LOVE Halloween. I know Pope Francis doesn't share my views on this fun filled time, and feels it should be more of a 'Holyween'....Isn't being kind and generous to strangers kind of holy? Well, I thought I would share my thoughts on this colourful time of year - just in case he is reading this. True to say this time of years appeals to the witch in me. I think I was one in a past life, and that I was burnt at the stake - which may explain my dislike of barbecues, and the sight of full pigs roasting...aagh!!

As a child I have very happy memories of Halloween. Treats were few and far between. We would look forward to eating delicious barmbrack lathered in butter, and to see who got the ring. Whoever got the ring would be the first to marry. Nobody wanted to get the pea - they would die an old maid! It was fun - as was ducking for apples, and dancing on the beach around a big warm bonfire. Fun fun fun - that is my childhood memory of halloween, which I have carried into my adult life.

When I came to Canada twenty two years ago, I found people kept to themselves, and I felt quite isolated for a time. I think part of the reason was because of the arctic climate that kept people huddled up inside for months at a time. People were polite, but very reserved - so different from the loquacious Ireland I had left behind. But there was one day that changed all that - One day - and that day was Halloween!!

On my first Canadian Halloween in Fort McMurray - horror of horrors - I ran short of candy! I had no idea how huge this holiday was in Canada. I was desperately raiding every cupboard in the house looking for anything sweet. The door bell kept hopping, and I had no idea what to do! A kind neighbour realized my plight, and sent her kids down with whopping huge bags of candy for me to distribute, and would not take payment - how kind!!

This was a day that helped me to see another side to Canadians - the warmth, generosity, and deeply concealed child, that lurked within my newly adopted countrymen and women. Yeah! I knew it! They could party like rock stars, and did have a wild side, and were immensely creative, as could be seen from the incredible costumes. That's why I love love love Halloween!

Yes, I always have an enormous blast at Halloween. Yes, I go all out. Yes, this year was no exception. Go big or go home. I don't do skulls, graveyards, yucky stuff - enoooo! That's not my thing. I respect the dead. I like an excuse to do pretty and dress up with fancy headdress, glitter, diamonds (not real!) fur, feathers, fancy palancy! I was Cleopatra one year, Cinderalla another year - you get the drift...

The fun part is decorating the house two weeks in advance, making up my treat bags for the visiting little trick 'n treaters, and seeing the utter joy in their faces, when I hold the basket in my hand, and invite them to take a big fat bag from it! Priceless. My kids always had great fun at Halloween, and had a little ritual of emptying out their trick 'n treat bags, and sharing the spoils. They were always very generous with Mama!!

Why are coffee crisps so unpopular and Mars bars the favourite I would wonder? I watched in awe as they neatly arranged all the smarties in one bunch, and mars in another, etc. The dentist across the street always gave out free tooth brushes - lol, and a little old lady in one house would fill delightful little bags with orange and black jelly beans all tied up in pretty bows. Cute.

In short, Halloween is a practice run for Christmas and spreading good cheer. It's a last hurrah before I go into spiritual hibernation for the month of November, a time when I remember my dearly beloved deceased ones.

So that's my take on Halloween or should I say Holyween!!

Toodlepip for now!

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment