Friday, February 27, 2015

BINGO CHANGED MY LIFE!

Fooled you! - No, I didn't win a full house but I bet you thought I did!

One of the most rewarding things I did last year was to volunteer to call out the Bingo at a local homeless shelter. It has been an eye-opening experience, and enormously satisfying. There are days when I feel tired, and don't feel up to it, but when I go down there, I'm always glad I did.

I was recently away for two weeks and when I returned last Thursday, I was taken aback by the warm reception I received. People hugged me and told me how much they missed me. I wasn't expecting that, but it sure meant a lot to me. These are people who have very little, but who have demonstrated what it means to be generous. Without wishing to be too mushy mushy, I have seen God in action at this shelter, and when I am driving home, I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes.

It was one lady's birthday and even though she did not win at bingo, people gave her their prizes because it was her birthday. I notice the way people look out for each other, in a way I have never seen anywhere else. Another lady had won twice, so she donated her prize to the fellow beside her because he had not won anything. There is a real and genuine sense of caring and sharing amongst my Bingo Buddies. At 'Our Place' people are referred to as family, and yes, it is like one big family.

When I put myself into the shoes of some of the people I meet, I cannot understand for the life of me how they can be so cheerful, happy, generous, and good humoured with so little! After the Bingo finishes up and everybody is delighted with their winnings of chocolate bars or bags of crisps, we part ways. My family, or 'Bingo Buddies' as I call them, will gather up their few belongings and head to a nearby gymnasium or shelter where they will sleep on a thin mattress on a floor. They will share a communal bathroom.

When I go home to my comfortable house, cosy bed, loving family...no wonder I am grateful.

All I can say over and over again is DEO GRATIAS and I love my Bingo Buddies!

Hugs and kisses,

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment