Tuesday, February 3, 2015

LET'S GO!!

I was de-cluttering the basement recently when I came across an Oprah magazine from 2004. It looked interesting and I needed a good excuse for a rest! As I glanced over the glossy pages, enjoying all the familiar Oprah 'live your best life' messages that go in one ear, and out the other, I suddenly had a very bleak moment. Even though the magazine was now 11 years old, it was sufficiently up-to-date to be sitting on shop shelves today.

The fashion was current and modern. The ad for Chanel Mademoiselle perfume was still the same, my laundry detergent and breakfast cereal, ditto. The extra pounds I wanted to lose back then have remained loyal, and could not be parted from me! Suddenly, a wiggly wormy thought struck me - Nothing has changed in the past 11 years! Nothing. Where has the time gone? I could actually recall reading that magazine when it first came out, and enjoying the special feature on dresses.

Eleven years seems like a lot of time, but I think the Universe is fooling us! Our days seem to be really and truly flying! Because the transience of time had whooshed by so quickly, I began asking myself what really had I done with my life in the past 11 years since I bought that magazine? After the initial panic subsided, I began to relax. It wasn't that bad really - I had done something with my life - not all I would have wanted to do, but enough to justify my existence.

In the past 11 years, the girls had graduated from High School and gone on to University, we had moved from Calgary to Victoria, met some new people, travelled to several countries, enjoyed many a great celebration meal at restaurants, our dogs and cat, like us, have got older and wiser, we moved house three times, endured renovations from hell, I wrote 3 books, and of course dear Daddy died and along with him, the heart and soul of our family was buried too. Nothing, and everything, has changed. On paper it seems like a decent chunk of life has been lived. But why do I feel like it has all happened so quickly? Do you feel the same with your life?

How about the next 11 years? Is it because we're getting older, and realize that our health and energy levels are going to be dropping, that we need to get serious about 'Living our Best Lives'. If you lived on a deserted island, a farm, or a small country village, would the urgent matter of using your life to its utmost, be still an issue?

If God blesses you with another 11 years, how would you like to spend it? Are you getting the most bang for your life buck? Are you just dragging your feet? Getting by with a wing and a prayer? Believing that when you lose that extra 10 lbs. your life will change? or that when 'Mr. Right Now' comes along, the clouds of life will disperse? Big questions...Time is flying, so LET'S GO!!

Hugs and Kisses,

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment