Thursday, September 4, 2014

MR. SUBMARINE MAN

Upon my return from Vancouver, I had to take a trip to the supermarket. Just as I was loading the car, I could hear the familiar clippity-clop sound of footsteps coming towards me. These tired aching feet, with their ill-fitting shoes, were on a mission. It could only be one person...and sure enough, it was him - Mr. Submarine Man!

I call him that because he always comes up to me, and asks for money to buy himself a Submarine sandwich, with a drink. He is quite specific about the amount too. 'Miss, could you spare $5 so I can buy a submarine sandwich".  I'm a sucker for Mr. S, because there is something about his face, his appearance, his manner - apart from the fact he always calls me 'Miss' - (good strategy Mr. S!) and he is old enough to be my father!

It's not that I see him a lot, maybe once a month, sometimes less, sometimes more. But between the jigs and the reels, it's no skin off my back. He has become one of those strange people that enter your life, yet you don't know why they do. Sometimes I wonder if he is an Angel in disguise, sent by God to test my kindness pledge. As a thank-you, I promised God, that I would try with all my heart, to perform a random act of kindness each day. But he had to help me, and put the needy party in my path... That's why I find it hard to pass a panhandler (don't like the word beggar!).

Now that I'm off the chocolate, my new challenge to myself is to try and follow up on this pledge. You can join me if you wish...Maybe it is to yourself, that you owe a kindness. Maybe you are too hard...too cruel...too self-depricating...too critical...too mean to yourself. Seriously, think about it. And if you're nice to yourself, and it feels good. Well then, go out and spread the joy!

Love,

Polly P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment