Tuesday, July 24, 2012

OH, OH, OH, SOMETIMES I GET A GOOD FEELING...


Yeah, I get a good feeling when I have a pedicure - It costs money.
I get a good feeling when I have my hair done - It costs money.
I get a great feeling when I buy new clothes - yeah that's a big jolt of happiness! It costs money. I love driving my golden wonder merc. It costs money. We love giving our children a good education - It costs money - I love eating out - It costs money. I love travelling - It costs money. I love freedom - It costs money. I love my beautiful home - It costs money -  I love jewellery - 'bling is my thing' - Yes, It costs money. I love my pets - They cost money too. I like going to the cinema...It costs money. I like supporting kids in 3rd world countries -
It costs money, And the list goes on...

Am I a millionaire - absolutely not! I am just an ordinary gal who spends too much, and enjoys the good life. In my favour, I don't smoke, drink, or participate in private clubs - No to all of that - Nor do I have expensive hobbies. Clothes and bling - a hobby? Hmm now that's a good one to argue.

My question to myself this day...and for you too, is... 'Can money buy you happiness?' Like 'Real' Happiness? As my youngest child left school this year, I got to thinking...She is entering into a world that is currently experiencing, possibly the worst recession in history. How is that going to help her, or any of our children? We need to review the situation. Because never before either, have young kids today been so blinged down with gadgets, gizmos, glamour role-models, i-Pods - you name it! They must have it, and the 'herd instinct' is pretty animalistic.

It is a well worn record, recorded by many eminent brains, such as the Dalai Lama, that 'Money does not buy you happiness'. I have to admit - please do not throw tomatoes at the computer screen! But yes, money does buy me pockets of happiness, but it is not 'consistent' in its effect. I do also believe that 'Money is the root of all evil'. It can bring out the worst in others, i.e. greed, envy and deceit.

We need to balance it out and be kind to money...we cannot stop spending, because then the world economy would utterly collapse, as it is doing now...Could we all start a barter system for payment? Then what would your friendly...correction! 'unfriendly' bank manager say about that?

I do think money can afford considerable happiness, perhaps on a superficial level. Faith alone (not just me saying that!) provides the deepest of raw, emancipated happiness. But then again, in this busy world of ours, not many people are prepared to put the time in, which is why churches are now becoming condo buildings. We want instant happiness...the kind of 'Give me a crocodile sandwich, and make it snappy' type of happiness that costs money - Lots of money!

O.K. I get it now...this is what they mean when 'they' say that 'Money cannot buy you happiness'...See Below...

 'Love is Blind'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment