Sunday, August 5, 2012

HAVE A LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF...

Eckhart Tolle is the current brain I take to bed with me. He has a lot to say. Never a dull moment. "Direct your attention inside" is what he instructed me to do last night.

This is one you may wish to try for yourself as well...

"What kind of thoughts is your mind producing?"
"What do you feel?"

"Observe the many ways in which unease, discontent, and tension arise within you through unneccessary judgment, resistance to what is, and denial of the NOW". He believes anything unconscious dissolves when you shine the light of consciousness on it. Hmm interesting stuff.

Is it any wonder then that people feel a great sense of contentment doing gardening, cooking, sewing, painting, reading, etc. You're totally in the 'Now'. Your brain is fully occupied - no time to think. Knock Knock... 'Workaholics' Hello, did you hear that? They say if you're in a bad mood it's a good idea to get up and clean the house - that would put me in a worse mood! Actually no, the sense of achievement is like runner's high.

My point today is, why do we have to keep ourselves manically occupied? in order for our thoughts to behave themselves? It's like if we leave them to their own devices for a second, mayhem will take over, and in some cases it does. Are our thoughts possessed by some evil spirit? Some would say yes, and that it is the lack of spirituality in our lives today, that cause some folk to go over the edge. Who can tell? But it is true to say the level of discontent is far more prevalent in our society today, than ever before.

Our thoughts and worries have become a lot more sophisticated, than they were for our mothers or grandmothers. Check out the following charming poem, and you'll see what I mean. I found it in 'The Fireside Book' going back four decades. I love reading old poetry books. Just like I love Pollyanna and Shirley Temple...simpler times, when people were a lot nicer to each other...

Here's that sweet little poem...

Suppose the very things I hate
Should all come trooping to my gate;
Suppose my currant jam won't set,
Suppose my washing day is wet,
And then suppose the clothes-line breaks
Just as the littlest one awakes

Suppose the butcher sends me meat
That no-one in the house can eat;
Or Mrs. Char, who doesn't think,
lets half a lemon down the sink;
Or queer relations come to stay
Just when John has to be away.

Well, even then
There still will be
God, and the Universe -
And me!

This poem could have been written in the '50's, the same era as 'Darling Buds of May' (charming English series available on video). Maybe I'll start making jam, and putting my clothes out to dry on the clothes line, and forget about food courts and takeaways! 'Queer relations?'...can you relate to that?

Just some thoughts to digest on the choo choo train...of thought!

Have a great Sunday, and I'll tell you about the Afternoon Tea parties tomorrow d.v. and how they went! Maybe I'll make the jam? ha ha - as if!

Polly Hugs to all of you reading this in Canada, USA, Ireland, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, United Kingdom. The stats tell me you're out there reading this blog. Let me know if you're enjoying it, or how I can make it better for you!

Patricia xxx

2 comments: