Tuesday, August 14, 2012

THE SISTERS SHAFIA

My mother was the eldest of three sisters. I was the second of four sisters, and now I have three daughters, each of whom can one day say "I was one of three sisters." I guess you could say sisterly love is deep in my DNA. Perhaps that may explain why the harrowing story of the Shafia sisters, and their gruesome end, has moved me so much. To those of you reading this abroad, you may not be familiar with the story. The reason I mention it is because I have just been watching a documentary 'The Fifth Estate' which gave a blow by blow account of the whole sordid story. If you google 'Shafia sisters murders' you can read more.

On June 30th, 2009, in Kingston, Ontario, Mohammed Shafia, an immigrant from Afghanistan, his second wife Tooba, and their 20 year old son Hamed, murdered the girls, (supposedly an honour killing) along with Rona, Mohammed's first wife who was infertile. To see pictures of the smiling sisters would bring tears to the most hardened hearts. Zainab, the eldest was only 19, Sahar the middle sister was 17, and Geeti the baby sis was 13. How could a mother kill her own children? It's beyond comprehension. She wasn't insane, just evil. Ditto the father. I think the brother just went along with his parents out of fear, maybe not. Who's to know? They are all behind bars now for life. No winners, and nobody singing 'Don't worry, be happy'.

To all of you reading this today, I hope you will remember the sisters in prayer. They lived in the utmost fear of their father, who did not like the way they dressed, or the fact Zainab had a boyfriend. They were normal teenagers, who died because of their efforts to 'fit' into the Canadian culture. Equally innocent was Rona, Mohammed's first wife, who was infertile, and treated as a servant by the second wife Tooba. In the midst of all the turmoil and abuse in their home, the concept of 'Don't worry, be happy' would have gone down like a ton of bricks I'm sure!

So my question to you, and to myself is 'How could anybody be happy who fears for their life?' Could prayer have helped them? Maybe for once, a shotgun would have been useful...maybe if they even shot that demonic father of theirs in the knee, or something like that, so they could not have been accused of murder...questions with no answers.

Please feel free to post any comments in the 'comments' section of this blog, and maybe we could get some dialogue going... In the meantime, please remember the Shafia sisters and their aunt Rona in your prayers. May they rest in peace.


                               INNOCENT VICTIMS

No comments:

Post a Comment