Monday, August 13, 2012

THE OLDER THE CHICKEN THE SWEETER THE PICKIN'

That's what we ladies 'of certain age' like to think, right? But what does growing old 'gracefully' really mean? It's a curious question. We all approach it differently. Some of us like to dress and feel like we did in our 20's. Others amongst us 'give up' after turning 50, and the rest of us keep on truckin'.

Years ago when I lived in Ireland, I recall meeting a beautiful Indian woman. She was the wife of a doctor who worked with Kevin. She was only 30, but told me women her age in India were regarded as being 'over the hill' - in other words 'past it'. I never forgot the encounter. Thankfully, and hopefully, times have changed...or have they?

Last week I had a letter from my 'adopted' Indian son, Sidhanta. Wait for it!!...he told me in his letter - direct quote - "my grandmother is very old. She is around 50 years old. She depends upon her livelihood through her old age pension". Does that make me a geriatric? I'm a few years older than his grandmother. Kevin and the kids had a good laugh out of that one...not me! There is a seniors centre here in Victoria for 'over 50's' again the kids joke "hey mama you can join up" or what about the over 50's 'brown bag lunch' at our church. NO THANK YOU!! to both.

I'd prefer to be on Jane Fonda's team, or maybe even Joan Rivers on the 'Fashion Police'. Divas like that inspire me. Jane is 75 and looking amazing! madly in love, the figure of a Goddess, the hope of a 20 year old, and the enthusiasm of a 16 year old as she embraces, what she calls her "third chapter". Joan Rivers is also high on my list of 'Fab Females'. She is two years shy of 80 and currently looking for a man!

Closer to home, I met an extraordinary lady yesterday. She was about 75, and decidedly the most glamorous lady I have seen in a long while. She was dressed in a black skirt, canary yellow top with matching yellow nail polish! It was the yellow nail polish that did it for me, and her cute little black and white polka dot hair bow that declared 'I'm still in the game of life'. God willing, that's the way I want to be at 75!

Age is mind over matter - as long as you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
Look around you, and within you. What can you do to make your 'golden years' the most spectacular years of your life? Learn from all your hard-earned wisdom, and never lose your zest for life.

Polly Hugs,

Patricia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment