Thursday, August 2, 2012

POLLY PUT THE KETTLE ON...


and we'll all have tea...How many times did you hear that happy little ditty as a child? I remember hearing it many times, and the sound of it is still music to my ears. Polly put the kettle on and we'll all have tea, was an announcement to down tools and relax.

The notion of putting the kettle on, conjures up images of happy gatherings, lively conversation, cake and cosiness, or simply a tranquil moment to oneself, removed from the cares of everyday life.

This month I am exploring 'Simple Abundance' and looking at all those simple pleasures we frequently take for granted in our busy lives. Afternoon Tea being a classic example of what I mean. When I was in London recently, the girls and I went to The Ritz Hotel for afternoon tea. It was on my bucket list of things to do, and of experiences to share with them. What a thrill it was!

The silver, the china, the napkins, the exquisite little bite size cakes, and finger sandwiches combined to make for a thoroughly memorable experience. Yet when I think of it, everything could easily be done at home...with the exception of the charming French waiter!

Later, Ali bought me a little book on Afternoon Teas with recipes for sandwiches and cakes, and illustrations on how to prepare this simple, yet delightful little ritual. The book is a wonderful keepsake. Currently it is sitting pretty on my book shelf...but not for long more! How many times do you or I get presents like that, but never put them to proper use? Now I will. It's just a matter of effort, but very well worth it in the end.

By strange co-incidence, just as I was thinking about afternoon tea, we were invited to one in the gardens of Craigdarroch Castle on Saturday next. Every summer they invite the people in the neighbourhood to tea. I think it is a very nice neighbourly thing to do. I'll let you know how it goes! And how my little afternoon tea party goes. It may qualify for the 'High Fives'.

So get that kettle on, and dust off the china (why only use the good stuff 3 times a year!). Find yourself a nice cosy spot and simply enjoy...Texting and Afternoon Tea are like oil and water -  not a harmonious combination!

Cheery Byes,

Patricia xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment