Thursday, August 23, 2012

THE GAMES POLLYANNA PLAYS


Since boarding the Pollyanna train of thought, each day is a new adventure, and I never know what Ms. P has up her sleeve! She constantly inspires me with fun suggestions on how to live a happier, and more peaceful existence. I'm learning to appreciate the magic moments, and to find joy in the simplest of pleasures. Thank you for all the beautiful, encouraging emails I've been receiving since I started this blog in mid July. It would appear Rule # 10 is the most popular!! When it comes to your happiness - just think of the word  K.I.S.S. - Keep it Super Simple!

Each morning, as part of my exercise regime, I walk on the Cedar Hill chip trail - my favourite place on earth! I call it the 'Holy Grail'. En-route, I pass birds hunting for food, babies in strollers, people I know, who stop for a chat, joggers a-sweating, dogs of every make and shape, cats a purring, ducks paddling in the stream, wild sweet smelling roses, and now that we are in the berry season, people with pails in hand, picking the voluptuous blackberries, ripe for the pick. It's a joyful amble, and one I truly look forward to each morning. Oh, did I forget to mention the golfers?

Yes, I also pass golfers, earnest in their efforts to get a hole in one! This is the fun part of my walk. I have devised a new game which brings a smile, not just to my face, but to theirs as well. It is called "Have you lost your balls?" This is how it works...

As I walk, I often see lost golf balls hiding in the bushes (average 1-2 per day). As soon as I have one in hand, I then look for a group of elderly golfers (they appreciate the value of a free ball and a flirt). Here's how it goes "Hey fellas have you lost your balls?" I shout out bold as you like. They get excited and all run to catch it. (I pretend to throw it at them). 'Not so fast boyz" I say in my best Mae West voice. "First you have to think of a number between 1 and 10". They get all happy, especially the fellow who picks the correct number. So it's a win win situation. I get to do a corporal act of mercy (returning lost golf balls, and flirting with  seniors). It's worth me at least 10 brownie points for heaven.  They get free golf balls, which they probably lost in the first place! Yes, it powers up my walk nicely, and is a fun diversion. They call me 'Ballzy' ha ha.

The other game that Polly created was 'Hey do you collect cans?' I collect my old cans and as soon as I have a black bag full, I put it in the trunk of my car to give to a street person. The look of absolute delight in his/her face is priceless (see below). I spotted Gary, the man in the picture below on my way to Chinatown one day. I asked "Hey do you collect cans?" He was so thrilled, and I asked him if I could take his photo to show my readers. His smile speaks a thousand words, doesn't it?

Yet another win win K.I.S.S. situation, would you not agree?

Choo Choo for another day!

Polly hugs,

Patricia xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment